How can we prove the bac-cab rule using a geometrical derivation?

• Thread starter ady
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a better way to prove the "bac-cab" rule, which states that Ax(BxC)=B(A.C)-C(A.B). Various methods and proofs were mentioned, such as using the Levi-civita function, geometric algebra, and tensor calculus. One participant shared a geometrical derivation that showed similarities to a video demonstration. In the end, it was decided that the method used does not matter as long as it yields the correct result.
ady
I've looked up on the solutions to bac-cab rule on the internet but they where all the same Computational, idea free ways.
I wonder if anyone knows any better way.
I'd be very thankful for any ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
ady said:
I've looked up on the solutions to bac-cab rule on the internet but they where all the same Computational, idea free ways.

What is the "bac-cab" rule?

Hi,

Have you ever tried to come to a proof using the Levi-civita function??

good point

PaulDirac said:
Hi,

Have you ever tried to come to a proof using the Levi-civita function??

I have but I can't understand it completely. There are some parts that i haven't seen during my studies.
the parts I mentioned previously are: are Einstein summation convention and Levi-Civita and ... which means I know nothing of that proof's tools.

wikipedia shows two different methods, which are not just the standard computation: use of geometric algebra and use of tensor calculus, which has been mentioned already. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_product#Vector_triple_product
Use of geometric algebra is probably the most elegant, but most abstract. The tensor calculus method is still pretty elegant, compared to the standard computation method.

edit: p.s. you can ignore the stuff about the scalar triple product on that page.

Last edited:
ady said:

This video shows a really unique way

Here's a fairly geometrical derivation that has some similarities to the video in the previous post.

Want to show ##\vec A \times \left( \vec B \times \vec C \right) = \vec B \left(\vec A \cdot \vec C \right) - \vec C \left(\vec A \cdot \vec B\right)##.

Since this identity is clearly zero if anyone of the three vectors is zero, we will assume in the following that none of the three vectors is zero.

It is not hard to see that the component of ##\vec A## that is perpendicular to the plane containing ##\vec B## and ##\vec C## does not contribute to either side of the above identity. That is, we can forget about this component of ##\vec A## when evaluating either the left or right sides. This means that we don't lose any generality of the proof if we assume that ##\vec A## lies in the plane containing ##\vec B## and ##\vec C##.

So, in the following we assume ##\vec A##, ##\vec B##, and ##\vec C## are coplanar
.Introduce unit vectors ##\hat A##, ##\hat B##, and ##\hat C## in the directions of ##\vec A##, ##\vec B##, and ##\vec C##, respectively. It is easy to see that each side of the identity that we want to prove is proportional to ##ABC##, where ##A##, ##B##, and ##C## are the magnitudes of the corresponding vectors. Thus the identity will be true if and only if $$\hat A \times \left( \hat B \times \hat C \right) = \hat B \left(\hat A \cdot \hat C \right) - \hat C \left(\hat A \cdot \hat B \right.)$$
Let ##\theta## be the angle between ##\hat A## and ##\hat B##. Let ##\phi## be the angle between ##\hat A## and ##\hat C##. For convenience, introduce perpendicular ##x## and ##y## axes lying in the plane of our three vectors with the x-axis along ##\hat A##.

1663459756005.png

Consider ##\hat A \times \left( \hat B \times \hat C \right) ##. The magnitude of ## \hat B \times \hat C## is ##|\sin (\phi - \theta)|## and the direction of ## \hat B \times \hat C## is perpendicular to the plane. Therefore, the cross product of ##\hat A## with ## \hat B \times \hat C## has magnitude ##|\sin (\phi- \theta)|## and has direction ##\pm \hat y##, where ##\hat y## is a unit vector in the positive y direction. The sign depends on whether ##\phi > \theta## or ##\theta > \phi##. However, in either case you can check that $$\hat A \times \left( \hat B \times \hat C \right) = -\sin (\phi - \theta) \hat y. $$

Next, we have $$ \hat B \left(\hat A \cdot \hat C \right) = \hat B \cos \phi = \left(\cos \theta \, \hat x + \sin \theta \, \hat y \right)\cos \phi$$
And $$ \hat C \left(\hat A \cdot \hat B \right) = \hat C \cos \theta = \left(\cos \phi \, \hat x + \sin \phi \, \hat y \right)\cos \theta$$
Thus, $$ \hat B \left(\hat A \cdot \hat C \right) - \hat C \left(\hat A \cdot \hat B \right) = \left( \sin \theta \cos \phi - \sin \phi \cos \theta \right) \hat y = -\sin ( \phi - \theta) \hat y = \hat A \times \left( \hat B \times \hat C \right). $$

(Please point out mistakes. I don't claim any originality and I don't suggest that this derivation should be preferred in any way. I show it just for fun.)

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. What is the "bac-cab rule"?

The "bac-cab rule" refers to a mathematical proof technique used in geometry to show that two triangles are congruent. It involves comparing the corresponding sides and angles of the two triangles to determine if they are identical.

2. How does the "bac-cab rule" work?

The "bac-cab rule" states that if two sides and the included angle of one triangle are congruent to the corresponding sides and included angle of another triangle, then the triangles are congruent. This means that all other corresponding angles and sides will also be equal.

3. What is the significance of the "bac-cab rule"?

The "bac-cab rule" is significant because it allows us to prove that two triangles are congruent without having to know all of their corresponding angles and sides. This makes it a very useful tool in geometry and other mathematical fields.

4. Can the "bac-cab rule" be used in all cases?

No, the "bac-cab rule" can only be used in certain cases, specifically when we have enough information about the corresponding sides and angles of the two triangles. In some cases, we may need to use other methods of proof to show congruence.

5. Are there any other similar rules or techniques to the "bac-cab rule"?

Yes, there are other similar rules and techniques, such as the Side-Angle-Side (SAS) rule, Angle-Side-Angle (ASA) rule, and Side-Side-Side (SSS) rule. These rules are also used to prove congruence between triangles and rely on different combinations of corresponding angles and sides.