How can you find this differential equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a chemistry problem that requires solving for a derivative of a component given a formula and solving for a differential equation using previously solved for chemical potential values. The equation for the Gibbs Duhem equation is also mentioned. The individual asking the question is unsure of how to produce a differential equation for the given relation using their limited knowledge of calculus.
Lamebert
This is actually a chemistry problem, but I feel it's more appropriate posted here, as I'm not having trouble with the chemistry but rather the mathematics. To avoid mixing subjects, I'll keep chemistry jargon out.

We're given the formula for a component, and the problem request we give another component (which happens to be the derivative of the component given).

Given formula: GT = C + RTln(xA)/xa
where C, R, and T are constants for our purposes. (For clarity, A and B are different substances. Normal script T is temperature and subscript T is total, or the additive of components A and B for that variable)

In the case of the problem, the component xA = nA/nT

and μA = ∂GT/∂nA

So, solving for μA, we get μA = RT(1-ln(xA / xA2nT)

Now, onto my question. A certain equation says that

nBB = -nAA

And the problem requests I find a differential equation to solve for μB, but the required integration doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I assume I'm supposed to integrate both sides using the previously solved for μA. But I haven't taken a differential equations class, so I'm not sure how to produce a differential equation for this relation using the information given.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lamebert said:
So, solving for μA, we get μA = RT(1-ln(xA / xA2nT)

I don't see that. Is there some confusion in the subscripts between captial [itex] A [/itex] and lower case [itex] a [/itex] ?[itex] G_T = C + \frac{R\ T}{x_a} ln{(x_A)} [/itex]

[itex] x_A = \frac{\eta_A}{\eta_T} [/itex]

[itex] G_T = C + \frac{R\ T}{x_a} ln{( \frac{\eta_A}{\eta_T})} [/itex]

[itex] \mu_A = \frac{\partial G_T}{\partial \eta_A} [/itex]

[itex] = \frac{R\ T}{x_a} \frac{1}{ ( \frac{\eta_A}{\eta_T}) }\frac{1}{\eta_T} [/itex]

[itex] = \frac{R\ T}{x_a}\frac{1}{\eta_A} [/itex][itex] = \frac{R\ T}{x_a}\frac{1}{x_A \eta_T} [/itex]

Stephen Tashi said:
I don't see that. Is there some confusion in the subscripts between captial [itex] A [/itex] and lower case [itex] a [/itex] ?[itex] G_T = C + \frac{R\ T}{x_a} ln{(x_A)} [/itex]

[itex] x_A = \frac{\eta_A}{\eta_T} [/itex]

[itex] G_T = C + \frac{R\ T}{x_a} ln{( \frac{\eta_A}{\eta_T})} [/itex]

[itex] \mu_A = \frac{\partial G_T}{\partial \eta_A} [/itex]

[itex] = \frac{R\ T}{x_a} \frac{1}{ ( \frac{\eta_A}{\eta_T}) }\frac{1}{\eta_T} [/itex]

[itex] = \frac{R\ T}{x_a}\frac{1}{\eta_A} [/itex][itex] = \frac{R\ T}{x_a}\frac{1}{x_A \eta_T} [/itex]

No, the lowercase and uppercase are the same. Merely a typo.

Wouldn't there be a natural logarithm in the answer?

[itex] \frac{d}{dn_{A}} \frac{RT ln(\frac{n_{A}}{n_{T}})}{\frac{n_{A}}{n_{T}}} [/itex]

[itex] = RTn_{T} \frac{d}{dn_{A}}\frac{ln(\frac{n_{A}}{n_{T}})}{n_{A}}[/itex]

[itex]= RTn_{T} \frac{d}{dn_{A}}[ln(\frac{n_{A}}{n_{T}})n^{-1}_{A} ][/itex]

[itex]= RTn_{T} [\frac{n_{T}}{n_{A}}*n^{-1}_{A} + ln(\frac{n_{A}}{n_{T}})*n^{-2}_{A}][/itex]

[itex]= RTn_{T} (\frac{n_{T}+ln(x_{A})}{n_{A}^{2}})[/itex]

This is the same answer I have in the original post, with variable moved around.

Lamebert said:
Wouldn't there be a natural logarithm in the answer?

Yes, if [itex] x_a = x_A [/itex]

[itex]= RTn_{T} \frac{d}{dn_{A}}[ln(\frac{n_{A}}{n_{T}})n^{-1}_{A} ][/itex]

and I get:

[itex]= R T n_{T} [ \frac{1}{n_A} * n^{-1}_A + ln( \frac{n_A}{n_T} )*(- n^{-2}_{A}) ][/itex]

Stephen Tashi said:
Yes, if [itex] x_a = x_A [/itex]
and I get:

[itex]= R T n_{T} [ \frac{1}{n_A} * n^{-1}_A + ln( \frac{n_A}{n_T} )*(- n^{-2}_{A}) ][/itex]

My question is about a differential equation, not about the derivative of the function. I just gave the information to aid in answering my question over the differential equation, since I don't know where to start.

Lamebert said:
Now, onto my question. A certain equation says that

nBB = -nAA

It's actually very hard to say what the following symbolic manipulations do in a rigorous manner, but what your are expected to do is take an antiderivative of both sides.

[itex] x dx = - y dy [/itex]

[itex] \int x dx = - \int y dy [/itex]

[itex] \frac{x^2}{2} + C_1 = -\frac{y^2}{2} + C_2 [/itex]

[itex] x^2 + y^2 = 2(C_2 - C_1) = C [/itex] where [itex] C [/itex] is an arbitrary constant.

The equation you are asking about is called the Gibbs Duhem equation. If you divide both sides of the equation by nT, you get:
[tex]x_Bd\mu_B=-x_Ad\mu_A[/tex]
For a binary system like the one you are looking at, xB=1-xA
So, [tex]\frac{d\mu_B}{d\mu_A}=-\frac{x_A}{(1-x_A)}[/tex]
Is that what you were looking for?

Chet

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
The equation you are asking about is called the Gibbs Duhem equation. If you divide both sides of the equation by nT, you get:
[tex]x_Bd\mu_B=-x_Ad\mu_A[/tex]
For a binary system like the one you are looking at, xB=1-xA
So, [tex]\frac{d\mu_B}{d\mu_A}=-\frac{x_A}{(1-x_A)}[/tex]
Is that what you were looking for?

Chet
I'm not actually sure what I'm looking for. I asked my professor what form he wanted our answer in and he said he can't tell me, I suppose it gives the answer away.

From my understanding, a differential equation is one where the left hand side is the derivative of a variable that is on the right side (i.e. y' = cy in the simplest form). But I haven't taken differential equations so my limited knowledge is only what was covered in calculus. In other words, I was trying to solve the differential you wrote above by somehow plugging in the previously solved for chemical potential of A. But if what your provided above is a differential equation in proper form, I suppose it will work. :P

1. How do you determine the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is determined by the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, if the equation contains a first derivative, it is a first-order differential equation. If it contains a second derivative, it is a second-order differential equation, and so on.

2. What is the process for solving a differential equation?

The process for solving a differential equation involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done through various techniques, such as separation of variables, substitution, or using an integrating factor. It is also important to check if the solution satisfies any initial or boundary conditions given in the problem.

3. How can you determine if a differential equation is separable?

A differential equation is separable if it can be written in the form f(x) dx = g(y) dy. This means that the variables can be separated and integrated separately with respect to their respective variables. If this can be done, then the equation is separable and can be solved using the separation of variables method.

4. Can you use a computer program to solve a differential equation?

Yes, there are many computer programs and software packages available that can solve differential equations numerically. These programs use numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods, to approximate the solution to a given differential equation.

5. What are the applications of differential equations in real life?

Differential equations are used in various fields of science and engineering to model and understand real-life phenomena. They are used to describe the motion of objects, population growth, chemical reactions, and many other physical processes. They are also crucial in fields such as economics, biology, and medicine for analyzing data and making predictions.