How did Max Planck derive his constant H?

In summary: This suggests that the universe is expanding. The idea of Zero Point Energy was first proposed by Max Planck in 1904. He derived the equation for energy in terms of the energy of an oscillating system. The equation is: E=h*C. The equation is called Planck's Constant. The equation is a mathematical description of the energy in an oscillating system. The equation is not a physical description of the energy. The equation does not explain why the energy is oscillating. The equation is sometimes called the 'C-number'. The equation is also sometimes called the 'Q-number'. The equation was discovered by Max Planck.
Robert Miller
I listened to a lecture the other day that some anomalies in observations compared to theory caused Max Plank to derive his famous Constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can somebody point me to a English summary of Max Plancks 1906 paper?

[Post moved to this thread by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
That's easy: google ultraviolet catastrophe or Planck's Law

[edit] this was in reply to post #1. Since then posts #2 and #4 urged me to look into this some more. See #5.

Last edited:
The best complete source on this can be found in Darrigol (I will check spelling if this is incorrect.): From C-numbers to Q-numbers. Prepare yourself for a complete exposition of blackbody radiation. Your strengths better be in electrodynamics and statistical Mechanics. After you read this you will regard Planck to be mentioned in the same breath as Einstein, Newton or Boltzmann. If you have a hard time with the citation of the reference above, I will write back if necessary.

Well, you are really digging in. I suppose you found this one by Gearhart already ? I was impressed - both by the article that goes in depth and by the fact that it can be found so easily; Google really is a miracle.

I'm listening to a lecture by Barry Satterfield. It's long and painful to listen to due to so much background noise. The lecture is on Zero Point Energy. I don't have the math background, but I have a good head for the theoretical concepts. I've read this kind of stuff for many years. 20 years ago the ZPE seemed like fiction to me or at least not real. Now it seems to be on it's way to being a well developed field. I can't wait to see what the next 20 years uncovers in this field.

One major topic of this lecture was the experimental data that shows the speed of light is slowing, and that 'h' is needed so that (h*C) remains a constant. The value of 'h' increases as 'C' decreases at the same rate.

1. How did Max Planck discover his constant H?

Max Planck derived his constant H, also known as Planck's constant, through his study of black body radiation in the late 19th century. He was trying to find a mathematical equation that accurately described the emission of energy from a black body at different wavelengths.

2. What was Max Planck's reasoning behind the constant H?

Planck's reasoning for the constant H was based on his belief that the energy of a black body was quantized, meaning it could only exist in discrete packets or "quanta". He found that by multiplying the frequency of the radiation by a constant value, he could accurately predict the energy of each quantum.

3. Did Max Planck have any previous theories or experiments that led to his constant H?

Before his discovery of Planck's constant, Max Planck had been studying the work of other scientists, particularly James Clerk Maxwell and Ludwig Boltzmann, who had proposed theories about the nature of energy and how it behaved. Planck's own experiments with black body radiation ultimately led to his formulation of the constant H.

4. How did Max Planck's constant H contribute to the development of quantum mechanics?

Planck's constant was a crucial element in the development of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles on a subatomic level. The concept of quantized energy, which Planck's constant helped to explain, was a key factor in understanding the behavior of particles at this level and has led to many important applications in modern technology.

5. Is Max Planck's constant H still relevant in modern science?

Absolutely! Planck's constant is still used extensively in modern science, particularly in fields such as quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and spectroscopy. It is a fundamental constant in many equations and is essential for understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels.