How did they come up with this completed reaction

• Thread starter lechatelier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary: Therefore it is important to know where the charge comes from in the products of the reaction. In summary, the conversation discusses the completed reaction of Na2CO3 + 2HCl ⇔ 2NaCl + H2O + CO2 and how the products were obtained. The conversation also explores an alternative route for the reaction, questioning why it does not produce the same products. It is determined that the net equation for the reaction is H2CO3 ⇔ H2O + CO2 and the charge in the products comes from the equilibria present in the solution.
lechatelier
This is what the completed reaction looks like
Na2CO3 + 2HCl ⇔ 2NaCl + H2O + CO2

My question is how did they get the products in the above reaction.

Here is my attempt, but I don't see how to get it like in the above reaction
Na2CO3 + HCl ⇔ NaCl + HCO3

The HCO3 breaks down as follows:

HCO3 + H2O ⇔ H3O+ + CO2

So my question is how did they only get H2O + CO2 in the top reaction without the hydronium H3O+ ??

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
lechatelier said:
Here is my attempt, but I don't see how to get it like in the above reaction
Na2CO3 + HCl ⇔ NaCl + HCO3

There is a Na missing.

lechatelier said:

HCO3 + H2O ⇔ H3O+ + CO2

Where does the charge comes from?

lechatelier said:
So my question is how did they only get H2O + CO2 in the top reaction without the hydronium H3O+ ??

Apart from what DrS wrote, solution of HCl contains plenty of H+.

Well, the first equation you gave us is balanced. The reactants and products both contain:

3 O
2 Na
2 Cl
2 H
1 C

However, your second equation is missing a coefficient in front of one of the reactants. You wrote: Na2CO3 + HCl ⇔ NaCl + HCO3. This is not balanced properly, because on the reactant side you have 2 Na, and on the product side you only account for 1 Na. If you add a two in front of the HCl in the second equation, you get the correct products for the completed reaction of:

Na2CO3 + 2HCl ⇔ 2NaCl + H2O + CO2.

Last edited:
Heavymetal:

It's not a question about balancing!

I could balance the equation no problem. The question is why the reaction doesn't go this route:

Na2CO3 + 2HCl ⇔ 2NaCl + H2CO3

The H2CO3 breaks down as follows:

H2CO3+ H2O ⇔ H3O+ + HCO3

HCO3+ H2O ⇔ H3O+ + CO3

So I got H3O+ + CO3 but why is it that the correct reaction has H2O + CO2 (at the top, at the beginning of this post) without the hydronium ion H3O+ and CO3 ??

DrStupid said:
There is a Na missing.

Where does the charge comes from?

Are you serious in asking me where the +ive charge on a hydronium ion came from?

I believe it goes:

H2CO3 + 2H2O ⇔ HCO3- + "H3O+" + H2O
HCO3- + "H3O+" + H2O ⇔ CO32- + 2"H3O+"
CO32- + 2"H3O+" ⇔ 3H2O + CO2

I say "H3O+" because it doesn't actually take shape of the hydronium ion here. So if you cancel out the 2 H2O from the beginning, and the 2 out of the 3 in the end, you get a net equation that looks like:

H2CO3 ⇔ H2O + CO2

However, it probably looks more like this:

H2CO3 ⇔ HCO3- + H+(aq)
HCO3- + H+(aq) ⇔ CO32- + 2H+(aq)
CO32- + 2H+(aq) ⇔ H2O + CO2

HeavyMetal said:
you get a net equation that looks like:

H2CO3 ⇔ H2O + CO2

That's the main equation here, everything else is just an alternative take on the several equilibria present in the solution.

lechatelier said:
Are you serious in asking me where the +ive charge on a hydronium ion came from?

Yes, I do. The net quantity of electric charge must not change.

1. How did scientists discover this completed reaction?

Scientists discovered this completed reaction through a process of experimentation and observation. They may have started with a hypothesis and then conducted experiments to test it. Once the reaction was observed, they would have analyzed and documented their findings to confirm its validity.

2. What factors are considered when coming up with a completed reaction?

When coming up with a completed reaction, scientists consider several factors such as the reactants, temperature, pressure, concentration, and catalysts. These factors can affect the speed and yield of the reaction, so they must be carefully controlled and studied to achieve the desired outcome.

3. How long does it take for scientists to come up with a completed reaction?

The time it takes for scientists to come up with a completed reaction can vary greatly. It depends on the complexity of the reaction, the resources available, and the amount of trial and error required. Some reactions may take years to fully understand and develop, while others may be discovered more quickly.

4. Can the completed reaction be modified or improved upon?

Yes, the completed reaction can often be modified or improved upon. Scientists may continue to study and experiment with the reaction to find ways to make it more efficient or to produce different products. They may also discover new catalysts or conditions that can enhance the reaction.

5. How do scientists ensure the safety of the completed reaction?

Safety is a crucial consideration in the development of any completed reaction. Scientists must carefully assess the potential hazards and risks associated with the reaction and take necessary precautions to protect themselves and others. They may also conduct tests and simulations to anticipate any potential safety issues before the reaction is used on a larger scale.