How did they get this precession frequency of this gyroscope?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
unscientific
Messages
1,728
Reaction score
13
To summarize:

1. The solenoid is supplied with an AC voltage.

2. Produces an AC magnetic field out of the page

3. Exerts an AC magnetic force on the Nb-Plate that's placed just outside of one end of the solenoid

4. There is a fluid circulating in the torus, with angular momentum L in the z-direction (out of the page)

5. What is the torque exerted on L due to the oscillating Nb-plate which forces the torus to oscillate with it?

Directions: ∅ (Left-right), θ (In-Out of page)

264sv49.png


ACGyro2.png


I'm not sure how they got an extra θ0 term in their torque about ∅. I know in small oscillations, the magnitude of change in L is

ΔL ≈ θ0L

Alternatively, considering change within half a period = T/2:

ΔL/Δt = 2θ0L/T = 2fθ0L

which also doesn't match their expression..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No response yet!

Which extra θ0 term are you referring to because I do not see an extra.

Also, are you not missing a pi term in
ΔL/Δt = 2θ0L/T = 2fθ0L
 
256bits said:
No response yet!

Which extra θ0 term are you referring to because I do not see an extra.

Also, are you not missing a pi term in
ΔL/Δt = 2θ0L/T = 2fθ0L

Yeah, I did it two ways. Both don't match the expression they have derived..
 
I think I know their line of thought, correct me if I'm wrong:

In time Δt, the vector (θ0L) moves through an angle Δ∅. Hence

ΔL = (θ0L)Δ∅

Taking limits of Δt → 0,

dL/dt = (θ0)L(d∅/dt) = θ0Lω∅