How did they get this precession frequency of this gyroscope?

In summary, the solenoid is supplied with an AC voltage which produces an AC magnetic field out of the page and exerts an AC magnetic force on the Nb-Plate. The torus has a fluid circulating in it with angular momentum L in the z-direction. The question being asked is about the torque exerted on L due to the oscillating Nb-plate, which causes the torus to oscillate with it. The conversation also includes a discussion about an extra term and missing pi term in the derived expression for the torque. However, after considering the vector (θ0L) moving through an angle Δ∅ in time Δt, the derived expression is θ0Lω∅. This does not match the original
unscientific
To summarize:

1. The solenoid is supplied with an AC voltage.

2. Produces an AC magnetic field out of the page

3. Exerts an AC magnetic force on the Nb-Plate that's placed just outside of one end of the solenoid

4. There is a fluid circulating in the torus, with angular momentum L in the z-direction (out of the page)

5. What is the torque exerted on L due to the oscillating Nb-plate which forces the torus to oscillate with it?

Directions: ∅ (Left-right), θ (In-Out of page)

264sv49.png

ACGyro2.png

I'm not sure how they got an extra θ0 term in their torque about ∅. I know in small oscillations, the magnitude of change in L is

ΔL ≈ θ0L

Alternatively, considering change within half a period = T/2:

ΔL/Δt = 2θ0L/T = 2fθ0L

which also doesn't match their expression..

Physics news on Phys.org
No response yet!

Which extra θ0 term are you referring to because I do not see an extra.

Also, are you not missing a pi term in
ΔL/Δt = 2θ0L/T = 2fθ0L

256bits said:
No response yet!

Which extra θ0 term are you referring to because I do not see an extra.

Also, are you not missing a pi term in
ΔL/Δt = 2θ0L/T = 2fθ0L

Yeah, I did it two ways. Both don't match the expression they have derived..

I think I know their line of thought, correct me if I'm wrong:

In time Δt, the vector (θ0L) moves through an angle Δ∅. Hence

ΔL = (θ0L)Δ∅

Taking limits of Δt → 0,

dL/dt = (θ0)L(d∅/dt) = θ0

I would approach this question by looking at the underlying principles and equations involved. The precession frequency of a gyroscope is determined by the torque acting on it, which is equal to the rate of change of its angular momentum. In this case, the torque is caused by the oscillating Nb-plate, which exerts an AC magnetic force on the torus due to the AC magnetic field produced by the solenoid.

To calculate the torque, we can use the equation τ = Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. The moment of inertia of the torus can be calculated using its geometry and mass distribution. The angular acceleration can be calculated using the equation α = Δω/Δt, where Δω is the change in angular velocity and Δt is the change in time.

In this system, the change in angular velocity is caused by the torque exerted by the oscillating Nb-plate. This torque can be calculated using the equation τ = r × F, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force, and F is the force acting on the object. In this case, the force is the magnetic force exerted by the oscillating Nb-plate.

By combining these equations and taking into account the direction and magnitude of the forces and torques, we can calculate the precession frequency of the gyroscope. The extra θ0 term in the torque expression may come from the specific geometry and orientation of the system, and would need to be further investigated and justified.

In summary, the precession frequency of the gyroscope is determined by the torque acting on it, which is caused by the oscillating Nb-plate exerting an AC magnetic force on the torus. By using the appropriate equations and considering the specific details of the system, we can calculate the precession frequency and explain the presence of any additional terms in the torque expression.

1. How does a gyroscope work?

A gyroscope is a device that uses the principle of angular momentum to maintain its orientation in space. It consists of a spinning rotor that is mounted on a set of gimbals, allowing it to rotate freely in any direction. This rotation creates a stable axis that remains fixed in space, even as the gyroscope's frame moves.

2. What is precession frequency?

Precession frequency refers to the rate at which a gyroscope's axis rotates around a fixed point in space. This frequency is influenced by factors such as the speed of the rotor, the mass and shape of the rotor, and the size and shape of the gyroscope's frame.

3. How is precession frequency measured?

Precession frequency can be measured using a variety of methods, including optical sensors, accelerometers, and strain gauges. These instruments track the rotation of the gyroscope's axis and calculate the frequency based on the data collected.

4. What factors can affect the precession frequency of a gyroscope?

The precession frequency of a gyroscope can be affected by several factors, including the speed and direction of rotation of the rotor, the design and construction of the gyroscope, external forces such as gravity and friction, and the accuracy of the measuring instruments used.

5. How is precession frequency used in scientific research?

Precession frequency is an important parameter in many scientific studies, particularly those related to navigation, astronomy, and physics. By accurately measuring the precession frequency of a gyroscope, scientists can better understand the behavior of rotating systems, make more precise measurements, and develop new technologies that rely on the principles of angular momentum.