How did we measure the mass of Quarks?

In summary: The confidence level is definitely an educated guess; the people who do the calculations are constantly working to improve the accuracy of their estimates.
mpolo
I have searched the Internet and I have not found a simple layman's explanation other than this.
We observe their decay products of quarks and that is what the mass is reconstructed from. Is this correct? If so I would like to have that confirmed. I am just looking for a simple direct explanation of the process used. If there is a simple formula that goes with this process I would like to see that as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
mpolo said:
Is this correct?

Sort of. "Decay products of quarks" is not really a correct description of what is observed in the high energy experiments that provide the data used to estimate quark masses. It would be more accurate to say that we shoot things at hadrons (strongly interacting particles that contain quarks, like protons or hyperons) and measure what comes out; sometimes what comes out is just what we shot in with its energy and momentum changed (as in the deep inelastic scattering experiments in the 1960s--electrons were shot at nucleons and behaved as though they were bouncing off point-like particles inside the nucleons, which ended up being identified as the up and down quarks), sometimes it's a more complicated mess of other particles which indicate the presence of quarks inside the hadrons (as in the experiments that discovered the bottom and top quarks).

mpolo said:
I am just looking for a simple direct explanation of the process used.

Unfortunately, there isn't one, because the process used depends on the specific model we use, and there are multiple models that we use to estimate quark masses. This is fundamentally because we can't solve the equations that describe the strong interaction directly, so we have to use approximations, and we need to use different approximations for different situations.

The plot thickens. The process is more complicated than I thought and it appears to be a very indirect method. I guess I can settle for the name of the process models used. No need to explain the process models any further unless someone would like to try in layman's terms. I can look up the models myself for more information.

mpolo said:
it appears to be a very indirect method

Yes, it has to be because quarks are confined and we can't observe them directly, so we can't measure their masses directly the way we can for particles like electrons.

mpolo said:
I guess I can settle for the name of the process models used

It's not even that simple. There probably isn't a "B" level reference that will explain this, but you could try here for a start:

http://pdg.lbl.gov/2011/reviews/rpp2011-rev-quark-masses.pdf

Whew, that is complicated. I wonder what the confidence level really is concerning the masses of the quarks? Has that been quantified by anyone? I am sure it must be an educated guess at best. Thanks for your help.

mpolo said:
I wonder what the confidence level really is concerning the masses of the quarks?

The chart on the Wikipedia page gives the current best values with error estimates:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark#Mass

1. How were quarks first discovered?

The existence of quarks was first hypothesized by physicists Murray Gell-Mann and George Zweig in the 1960s. They proposed that protons and neutrons, which were known to be made up of even smaller particles called nucleons, were themselves composed of even smaller particles called quarks.

2. How did we measure the mass of quarks?

The mass of quarks is determined through various methods, including analyzing the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions and using mathematical models to predict the mass based on the particles' properties.

3. What units are used to measure the mass of quarks?

The mass of quarks is typically measured in units of energy, such as electron volts (eV) or gigaelectron volts (GeV). This is because, according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc², mass and energy are interchangeable.

4. How precise are our measurements of quark mass?

Our measurements of quark mass are extremely precise, but not exact. Due to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics, it is impossible to know the exact mass of a particle. However, our measurements have become more and more precise over time as technology and techniques have advanced.

5. Can the mass of quarks change?

Yes, the mass of quarks can change depending on the energy they possess. This is known as mass-energy equivalence and is a fundamental concept in physics. The more energy a quark has, the more its mass increases. This is why the mass of quarks is typically measured in units of energy rather than traditional mass units such as kilograms.