How did you learn the greek alphabet?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, the use of the Greek alphabet is common in higher mathematics, but it is not explicitly taught in most math education. It is assumed that students will learn it as they encounter it in literature. Some students may struggle with this, while others pick it up easily. There are resources available for those who want to practice writing and reciting the Greek alphabet. It is not necessary to have perfect fluency in the Greek alphabet to understand mathematics or physics, and one can learn it in a similar way to their native language.
I took a Latin for Sciences course, though I've seen plenty of greeks before that. Mostly in physics and math.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
I just LOVE writing zeta and xi. The squiggles are fun. :biggrin:

I think zeta is boring … it needs a little loopy-thing in the middle to give it some personality. :frown:

But xi is great. I think it should just go on and on until you run out of room. :biggrin:
I also had a great deal of fun listening to my p-chem prof saying d[tex]\xi [/tex]. I wish I was in Dixie, hurrah, hurrah. :biggrin:

Do you pronounce it ksee, then?

I was taught to say "ksigh". :confused:
(here's some blue-xi thinking … ξ:rolleyes: )​

tiny-tim said:
Do you pronounce it ksee, then? I was taught to say "ksigh".
I managed to get a masters in math without ever learning the Greek alphabet and to this day I don't know the names of all the letters. I just do pattern matching. Until your post, it never occurred to me to think about how to pronounce this one. I can't even draw it, so I have created my own substitute shorthand version.

If you say "pie," then you say "ksigh." As well as "ch-high," "fie" and "psigh."

Otherwise it's "pee" "ksee" "ch-ee" "fee" and "psee." I think either is "correct enough," but one should remain consistant.

I am Ch-high Meson, and I approve this message.

how did you learn the "Greek" alphabet?

In physics, its pronounced the "Geek" alphabet

rewebster said:
how did you learn the "Greek" alphabet?

In physics, its pronounced the "Geek" alphabet

χ χ χ

("hee hee hee!")