How Do Different Technical Drawing Styles Compare in Benefits and Limitations?

• Thread starter Wanyama
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the different styles of orthographic projections, including first and third angle, isometric, oblique cavalier, and oblique cabinet. The benefits and limitations of each style are questioned, with the opinion that they have little practical benefit and are not commonly used in professional settings. The idea of labeling views on a plan rather than using traditional projections is suggested as a better practice. The use of perspectives, particularly with computer software, is also mentioned as a preferred method. Finally, the advantages and disadvantages of these styles are discussed, with a preference for third angle due to its similarity to creating a 3D model.
Wanyama
Orthographic (both 1st and 3rd angle), Isometric, Oblique Cavalier & Oblique Cabinet

Can you guys give me the benefits and limitations of each style

Physics news on Phys.org
In my humble opinion, these schemes have little benefit. I once went round a drawing office and asked the draughtsmen which they used. They said (typically) "that's something we learned at college but don't use in practice". First and third angle projections are suitable for objects whose overall dimensions are more or less the same in each direction, facilitating the various views to be shown on one drawing. But life isn't like that. You get long thin things. A better practice is to show a plan, and on the plan label the position of any cuts or elevations and which way it is looking. The view of the cut can be an any part of the drawing or even another one. I've never had any trouble with that. Going to the length of being pedantic about it is all very well when you are learning to vizualise at the beginning of your drawing practice. As for isometrics and obliques, I think they can be more confusing than illuminating. I prefer perspectives. With something like 'sketchup' you can choose your point of view to be most communicative for your situation. Get real, I say.

Likes Wanyama
I find 3rd angle feels more natural than 1st angle. Perhaps because it's closest to something you can cut out and fold up to make a 3D model (eg a net).

As this is in the homework section... What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages?

Related to How Do Different Technical Drawing Styles Compare in Benefits and Limitations?

1. What is a technical drawing?

A technical drawing is a precise and detailed illustration of an object or structure, typically created using computer-aided design (CAD) software or hand-drawing techniques. It includes specific measurements, dimensions, and other important information necessary for manufacturing or construction.

2. What are the different types of technical drawings?

The most common types of technical drawings are orthographic, isometric, and perspective drawings. Orthographic drawings show multiple views of an object from different angles, while isometric drawings show a 3D representation of an object. Perspective drawings show a realistic view of an object by incorporating depth and foreshortening.

3. How are technical drawings used in different industries?

Technical drawings are used in a wide range of industries, including architecture, engineering, manufacturing, and construction. They are used to communicate precise instructions and specifications for creating objects or structures, such as buildings, machines, or products. They also help to ensure consistency and accuracy in the production process.

4. What are the key elements of a technical drawing?

The key elements of a technical drawing include title block, scale, drawing number, dimensions, notes, and symbols. The title block contains important information such as the title of the drawing, the name of the creator, and the date of creation. The scale indicates the size of the object in relation to the drawing, while the dimensions provide precise measurements. Notes and symbols are used to convey additional information and specifications.

5. What is the importance of accuracy in technical drawings?

Accuracy is crucial in technical drawings as they serve as the basis for creating objects or structures. Any errors or discrepancies in the drawing can lead to costly mistakes in production or construction. Accurate technical drawings ensure that the final product is built to the correct specifications and meets all safety and quality standards.