Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do electrical charges attract/repel each other

1. Sep 21, 2013 #1
    Ok. I understand like repel and opposite attract. There are these physics homework with 3 charges and find the force from 2 of them on one. I understand the math: the only problem is my signs are wrong due to not understanding the direction of the force.

For example,
    There's a positive charge (A) on origin. There's a positive charge (B) 4 meters up. There's a neg charge (C) 3 meters x axis and 4 meters y axis. Find the resultant vector on charge 3?

For me, I would make charge 3 my main object. It would then attract and pull Charge B, making a vector to the SOutheast. It would then pull charge A to the NE direction. Then the resultant vector would be to right. But I am wrong.

I am literally confused. I do not know which direction to draw the vectors pointing. Please help. Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2013 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

If you're trying to find the vector of charge C, then you need to find out which direction the other 2 charges are pulling on it, not which way charge C is pulling the other two.

4. Sep 21, 2013 #3
    So the resultant is to the left?

5. Sep 21, 2013 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

If opposite charges attract, then charge C is attracted towards charge B, correct?
    And it also is attracted towards charge A.
    Since both A and B are to the left of C, I'd say that is correct. It should have a vector left and a little down.

6. Sep 21, 2013 #5
    Alright thanks. I think I get it now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook