1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do electrical charges attract/repel each other

1. Sep 21, 2013 #1
    Ok. I understand like repel and opposite attract. There are these physics homework with 3 charges and find the force from 2 of them on one. I understand the math: the only problem is my signs are wrong due to not understanding the direction of the force.

For example,
    There's a positive charge (A) on origin. There's a positive charge (B) 4 meters up. There's a neg charge (C) 3 meters x axis and 4 meters y axis. Find the resultant vector on charge 3?

For me, I would make charge 3 my main object. It would then attract and pull Charge B, making a vector to the SOutheast. It would then pull charge A to the NE direction. Then the resultant vector would be to right. But I am wrong.

I am literally confused. I do not know which direction to draw the vectors pointing. Please help. Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2013 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

If you're trying to find the vector of charge C, then you need to find out which direction the other 2 charges are pulling on it, not which way charge C is pulling the other two.

4. Sep 21, 2013 #3
    So the resultant is to the left?

5. Sep 21, 2013 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

If opposite charges attract, then charge C is attracted towards charge B, correct?
    And it also is attracted towards charge A.
    Since both A and B are to the left of C, I'd say that is correct. It should have a vector left and a little down.

6. Sep 21, 2013 #5
    Alright thanks. I think I get it now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook