Build a Device: Help Guide from PF Geeks | RinGGiE*RasTa

• Thread starter RinGGiE_RasTa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build
In summary: I am not getting the idea of wrist watch though!Welcome to the PF.A range of 100m would generally require you to use some licensed RF band. You might be able to use the ISM band (2.4GHz WiFi and microwave ovens), but the antenna will not be wristwatch size.What is the application? Perhaps we can suggest some alternatives. RFID is short range as well, BTW. On the order of a meter or few meters.Cannot you use several sensors around the perimeter (like a light beam break detector) and hard wire the sensor to your Led Indicator?
RinGGiE_RasTa
Hello geeks of PF! Wooooo!

I am in need of some help that will allow me to build a device.

Roughly this is how I want my device to work -

This device will help notify users about anything that I would like to notify them by indicating it through an LED. The device has got 2 ends; one end is attached to let's say a wall and the other is on the user like a wrist watch. Whenever the user enters an area (of let's say 100m) that has the first end installed then the end on the user will receive a signal and the LED will light up.

Now please help me out here people.Websites have very bleak guidelines that can help me move ahead with my very first build. I am on the edge of destruction I have tried various means but to no avail. I have narrowed down to either using a transmitter/ receiver device or a radio-frequency identification device. If anyone of you has a better idea then please do let me know. PLEASE HELP ME BUILD THIS DEVICE THANKS =D

It does not matter what signal I use or how I transmit the signal. What matters most is that the end product should have a feasible transmitting/receiving range of let's say 100m, consist of minimal number of interferences from other devices, portable and user-friendly. If we can get to this stage then later on maybe we have further improvise and innovate the product to a better finish.

Attached is a brief sketch of how my device should work.

Thanks mates,
RinGGiE*RasTa

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    552.9 KB · Views: 263
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
RinGGiE_RasTa said:
Hello geeks of PF! Wooooo!

I am in need of some help that will allow me to build a device.

Roughly this is how I want my device to work -

This device will help notify users about anything that I would like to notify them by indicating it through an LED. The device has got 2 ends; one end is attached to let's say a wall and the other is on the user like a wrist watch. Whenever the user enters an area (of let's say 100m) that has the first end installed then the end on the user will receive a signal and the LED will light up.

Now please help me out here people.Websites have very bleak guidelines that can help me move ahead with my very first build. I am on the edge of destruction I have tried various means but to no avail. I have narrowed down to either using a transmitter/ receiver device or a radio-frequency identification device. If anyone of you has a better idea then please do let me know. PLEASE HELP ME BUILD THIS DEVICE THANKS =D

It does not matter what signal I use or how I transmit the signal. What matters most is that the end product should have a feasible transmitting/receiving range of let's say 100m, consist of minimal number of interferences from other devices, portable and user-friendly. If we can get to this stage then later on maybe we have further improvise and innovate the product to a better finish.

Attached is a brief sketch of how my device should work.

Thanks mates,
RinGGiE*RasTa

Welcome to the PF.

A range of 100m would generally require you to use some licensed RF band. You might be able to use the ISM band (2.4GHz WiFi and microwave ovens), but the antenna will not be wristwatch size.

What is the application? Perhaps we can suggest some alternatives. RFID is short range as well, BTW. On the order of a meter or few meters.

Why not just use a PIR motion detector from a security system? Most of them have a relay output that can trigger all sorts of devices including LED's. I guess 100m would be pretty far for this sort of sensor as more motion detectors only work about 20 meters maximum.

Cannot you use several sensors around the perimeter (like a light beam break detector) and hard wire the sensor to your Led Indicator?
I am not getting the idea of wrist watch though!

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

A range of 100m would generally require you to use some licensed RF band. You might be able to use the ISM band (2.4GHz WiFi and microwave ovens), but the antenna will not be wristwatch size.

What is the application? Perhaps we can suggest some alternatives. RFID is short range as well, BTW. On the order of a meter or few meters.

Well basically, the application for this device is to remind the user of putting on his safety gears whenever he enters a site that requires him to have safety gears on.

1. How do I choose the right materials for my device?

Choosing the right materials for your device depends on factors such as the purpose of the device, the environment it will be used in, and the budget. Consider the properties of the materials such as strength, durability, and conductivity to determine which will be most suitable for your device.

2. What tools do I need to build my device?

The tools you need will depend on the complexity of your device. Some essential tools may include screwdrivers, pliers, wire cutters, soldering iron, and a multimeter. It is also important to have safety gear such as gloves and safety glasses when working with certain materials.

3. How can I ensure the safety of my device?

To ensure the safety of your device, make sure to follow all safety precautions when handling materials and using tools. Test your device thoroughly before use, and make sure to use appropriate voltage and current levels. It is also important to regularly maintain and inspect your device for any potential hazards.

4. Can I modify or improve my device after it is built?

Yes, you can modify or improve your device after it is built. It is common for scientists to continuously improve their devices as new technology and materials become available. Just make sure to carefully plan and test any modifications to ensure the proper functioning of your device.

5. How can I troubleshoot my device if it is not working properly?

If your device is not working properly, start by checking all connections and components to make sure they are properly connected. Use a multimeter to test for any faulty components. You can also consult other scientists or online forums for troubleshooting advice. If all else fails, consider seeking professional help.