How Do I Calculate Coulomb's Law for Fractional Electrical Charges?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
robertroman10
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
The law I am talking about is F=K* (qa*qb / r2) I know the values of all but I have a question on the q's which represent the electrical charges...
If the charge is +2/3 do I plug in the fraction 2/3 in the q's spot? is this the numerical number I use? PLEASE HELP!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
robertroman10 said:
The law I am talking about is F=K* (qa*qb / r2) I know the values of all but I have a question on the q's which represent the electrical charges...
If the charge is +2/3 do I plug in the fraction 2/3 in the q's spot? is this the numerical number I use? PLEASE HELP!
Are you trying to find the coulomb force between two charges of +2e/3?

AM
 
OK, so what unit is charge measured in? How much is e in those units? So how much then is 2/3e?
 
robertroman10 said:
The law I am talking about is F=K* (qa*qb / r2) I know the values of all but I have a question on the q's which represent the electrical charges...
If the charge is +2/3 do I plug in the fraction 2/3 in the q's spot? is this the numerical number I use? PLEASE HELP!

If both of the charges are +2/3 C, then you just plug in the charges for q

F = KQQ / R^2
F = (8.98e9)(2/3)^2 / R^2

The units for charge are Coulombs.
 
Last edited: