How do I calculate the acceleration of gravity underwater?

In summary, the acceleration of gravity underwater is different from the standard gravity at sea level. This difference is due to the greater amount of drag present underwater.
Charlie Kay
Does anyone know a simple formula to calculate the acceleration of gravity underwater?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have this, "m(d2x/dt2)=(rhoB-rhoA)(g*V)-0.5(Cd)(rhoA)(A)(dx/dt)^2"
When m=body's mass, rhoA=fluid density, rhoB=body density, g=gravity, x=displacement, t=time, Cd=drag coefficient, V=body volume and A=body area

Help??!

Charlie Kay said:
Does anyone know a simple formula to calculate the acceleration of gravity underwater?
What makes you think that the acceleration due to gravity is different underwater?

Charlie Kay said:
When m=body's mass, rhoA=fluid density, rhoB=body density, g=gravity, x=displacement, t=time, Cd=drag coefficient, V=body volume and A=body area

Help??!
And where did you get this formula?

a) there is more drag underwater and b)why, have you seen it before?

SteamKing said:
What makes you think that the acceleration due to gravity is different underwater?

This. Ever see a movie set on a submarine? That's underwater, and the gravity looks normal.

Charlie Kay said:
a) there is more drag underwater...

True but that's nothing to do with gravity.

I think your original question is wrong. I think what you are asking is.. What is the net vertical force (eg the sum of weight and buoyancy) ?

Eureka !

Charlie Kay said:

Help??!
The acceleration due to gravity is g, by definition. That equation you have is the net force due to gravity + buoyancy + drag.

Not to throw fuel on the fire, but I'm just curious. Isn't the gravitational constant g defined as being ~9.81 m/s^2 at sea level? If so, couldn't "below sea level" factor into the equation? My inclination is that the answer is basically "yes, but by such a small amount it's insignificant". Is this correct?

Yes, but this has nothing to do with the presence of water.
The sea level is just a convenient reference level. You can be under the sea level but not underwater. Or way above the sea level and underwater.
It would be misleading to attribute the change in g due to altitude change to being (or not) "underwater".

Likes billy_joule and dextercioby
g doesn't change a lot when you go up/down few meters, in fact the change is so small that it can be noticed, I will assume that you mean the net acceleration under water, you can use Newton's second law, F = ma, so ma = ρgV - mg (+drag force that I will ignore, considering a point particle), you get a = ρgV/m -g, if our particle has constant density then a = g*(ρmediumparticle-1), this is a very particular case :)

nasu said:
Yes, but this has nothing to do with the presence of water.
The sea level is just a convenient reference level. You can be under the sea level but not underwater. Or way above the sea level and underwater.
It would be misleading to attribute the change in g due to altitude change to being (or not) "underwater".

Thanks that's pretty much what I figured. I knew that the presence of water wouldn't matter, I was just curious as to the sea level reference. I understand that it's simply the reference point that was chosen when they calculated the gravitational constant. I guess my question was more along the lines of "is the difference in gravitational force at the bottom of the Mariana's trench and the peak of Mt. Everest (because point A is closer to the center of the Earth's mass than point B; the water of course is irrelevant) significant enough to factor into calculations?

That will depend on what is the calculation and what is the purpose of it.
And also, on what is the accuracy of the other parameters entering the calculation.

XZ923 said:
Thanks that's pretty much what I figured. I knew that the presence of water wouldn't matter, I was just curious as to the sea level reference. I understand that it's simply the reference point that was chosen when they calculated the gravitational constant. I guess my question was more along the lines of "is the difference in gravitational force at the bottom of the Mariana's trench and the peak of Mt. Everest (because point A is closer to the center of the Earth's mass than point B; the water of course is irrelevant) significant enough to factor into calculations?

This article has a discussion on the variation of g due to various factors, including altitude and latitude:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth

At the top of Mt. Everest for instance (approx. 9000 m above sea level), the value of g is about 0.29% lower than g measured at sea level. At the altitude the Space Shuttle formerly orbited, about 400 km above the surface, g was still about 90% of its value at sea level. There is a relatively simple formula to calculate g at altitude.

Going in the other direction, the variation of g with depth is a little trickier to calculate, because you must account for the mass of whatever solid (or liquid) material lies between the measurement depth and sea level. See more about this in the discussion of the Shell Theorem.

XZ923 said:
simply the reference point that was chosen when they calculated the gravitational constant

careful with your choice of words there :wink:

Gravitational Constant = G = approximately = 6.674×10−11 N⋅m2/kg2 a whole different thing

acceleration due to gravity ( eg at Earth's surface) = g = ~9.81 m/s2
which is the one being discussed

Dave

davenn said:
careful with your choice of words there :wink:

Gravitational Constant = G = approximately = 6.674×10−11 N⋅m2/kg2 a whole different thing

acceleration due to gravity ( eg at Earth's surface) = g = ~9.81 m/s2
which is the one being discussed

Dave
I stand corrected. Thank you sir. You're right, poor choice of words on my part. And SteamKing thanks for satisfying my curiosity!

When I said underwater I mean deep, as in 11,000 m below sea level!

Charlie Kay said:

With ##M## as the mass of the Earth, ##R## the radius and assuming uniform density, the force of gravity a distance ##r## from the centre of the Earth, with ##r< R##, is given by:

##\frac{GMr}{R^3}##

It would be a good exercise to derive this equation for yourself.

Charlie Kay said:
This is pretty deep for diving or submarines.
But for change in gravity is not much. You compare 11 km with the radius of the Earth which is around 6,400 km. About 0.2%.
You should not expect a significant change. As g goes like r^2, the change in g may be some 0.4% or about 0.04 m/s^2.

nasu said:
This is pretty deep for diving or submarines.
But for change in gravity is not much. You compare 11 km with the radius of the Earth which is around 6,400 km. About 0.2%.
You should not expect a significant change. As g goes like r^2, the change in g may be some 0.4% or about 0.04 m/s^2.

As above, ##g## actually changes linearly with ##r## inside a solid sphere.

The bottom of the ocean is not inside a solid sphere, is it?
There may be some corrections if we are looking at a deep narrow oceanic valley but I intended just an estimation of the effect that 11 km will have on g.
It also apply if you go up 11 km.

If you are going inside, the effect is smaller by a factor of 2, in first approximation. But I don't think is relevant here.

nasu said:
The bottom of the ocean is not inside a solid sphere, is it?
There may be some corrections if we are looking at a deep narrow oceanic valley but I intended just an estimation of the effect that 11 km will have on g.
It also apply if you go up 11 km.

If you are going inside, the effect is smaller by a factor of 2, in first approximation. But I don't think is relevant here.

The Earth is solid, in the sense that it's not hollow. In any case, outside the surface gravity varies as ##1/r^2##, but inside the Earth gravity varies as ##r##. That's the critical point.

One more time, I was not talking about what happens inside the Earth.
And I don't contest the (1/r) r dependence inside a solid, homogeneous, perfectly spherical Earth.

However, if you want to estimate the effect of going on the bottom of the ocean, a large, shallow deep in the crust rather than a narrow pith, I don't think that the 1/r applies.
There is no solid material above you. The 1/r^2 is also not exactly true. The dependence is more complicated. But it was just an order of magnitude estimate.
The difference between (1/r) r and 1/r^2 is less than an order of magnitude for that small difference so it does not even matter.

If you want to be very accurate, the (1/r) r does not even work for the real Earth, at that depth. g increases as you go down in the crust, for at least 11 km.
On the average, of course.

Edit. Corrected error (replaced 1/r by r) after observed by Perok.

Last edited:
nasu said:
One more time, I was not talking about what happens inside the Earth.
And I don't contest the 1/r dependence inside a solid, homogeneous, perfectly spherical Earth.

However, if you want to estimate the effect of going on the bottom of the ocean, a large, shallow deep in the crust rather than a narrow pith, I don't think that the 1/r applies.
There is no solid material above you. The 1/r^2 is also not exactly true. The dependence is more complicated. But it was just an order of magnitude estimate.
The difference between 1/r and 1/r^2 is less than an order of magnitude for that small difference so it does not even matter.

If you want to be very accurate, the 1/r does not even work for the real Earth, at that depth. g increases as you go down in the crust, for at least 11 km.
On the average, of course.

Okay. But, it's not ##1/r## inside a sphere. It's ##r##.

I'd be interested in the calculations that show that ##g## increases as you go down into the crust. How far do you have to go down before gravity does indeed begin to decrease?

Yes, you are right about r, sure. :)
Thank you for the correction.

You can start with Wikipedia.
It's not a theoretical calculation but rather models based on actual measurements. Or calculations based on models of the Earth's structure (based on actual seismic measurements and maybe other things I don't know about)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth

Likes PeroK
@nasu Interesting, thanks. There's always another twist to things!

Charlie Kay said:
Guys, i think I've got it!
someone told me that the acceleration due to gravity = 9.81

It's important to know the units as well.

g = 9.81 m/s2

which stands for?

Charlie Kay said:
which stands for?
m/s2 is meters per second per second

in imperial units, g = 32.2 ft/s2, which is feet per second per second

1. How is the acceleration of gravity different underwater compared to on land?

The acceleration of gravity, denoted as g, is the same underwater as it is on land. It is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s2) regardless of the medium.

2. How do I calculate the acceleration of gravity underwater?

The formula for calculating the acceleration of gravity underwater is the same as on land: g = F/m, where F is the force of gravity and m is the mass of the object. However, in water, the value for m may change due to buoyancy.

3. Does the depth of the water affect the acceleration of gravity?

No, the depth of the water does not affect the acceleration of gravity. As long as the object is submerged in water, the acceleration of gravity remains constant at 9.8 m/s2.

4. How does the density of the water affect the acceleration of gravity?

The density of water does not directly affect the acceleration of gravity. However, it can affect the buoyancy of an object, which in turn can affect the value of m in the acceleration of gravity formula.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate the acceleration of gravity in different bodies of water?

Yes, the same formula can be used to calculate the acceleration of gravity in any body of water, as long as the object is fully submerged. However, the value for m may vary depending on the density of the water.