How can I calculate underwater pressure quickly

In summary, the formula for calculating underwater pressure is "P=r*g*h" where r is the fluid density, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid. It is equivalent to 1 extra atmospheric pressure per 10 metres of water column. The conversion rate from pascal to bar is 1 bar = 100,000 Pa. While Google can provide a quick answer, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and be able to calculate the values manually.
Charlie Kay
Does anyone know a simple formula to calculate underwater pressure?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the formula "P=r*g*h" when r=fluid density, g=Acceleration of gravity and h=height of fluid.

Got this off NASA

Charlie Kay said:
I have the formula "P=r*g*h" when r=fluid density, g=Acceleration of gravity and h=height of fluid.
Same thing. (##\rho## is the common symbol for density.)

The simplest way you can get is 1 extra atmospheric pressure per 10 metres of water column.

Brilliant, that's just what I was looking for! :-)

How much Is normal atmospheric pressure?

1 atm or very close to 1 bar, or very close to 100 000 Pascals.

In the spirit of the forum I'd encourage you to take the earlier-posted equations and plug in the numbers for 10 metres of water, and see if it really comes down to 100 000 Pascals. You need density of water in kg/m^3.

Charlie Kay said:
Brilliant, that's just what I was looking for! :-)

Of course Bandersnatch's answer is an approximation - but quite good enough for all practical purposes. It would be a good exercise to calculate exactly what the pressure increase from ten meters of water is using the ##\rho{g}h## formula - google will find the values of the various physical constants you'll need - and see just how good of an approximation it is, whether it is sensitive to small changes in the temperature of the water.

Just wandering if there are any other formulas for it?!

Charlie Kay said:
Just wandering if there are any other formulas for it?!

##\rho{g}h## is pretty much the gold standard here. You can make additional corrections if ##\rho## or ##g## aren't constant, but for any problem involving reasonable liquids on or around the surface of the earth, these are just rounding errors.

Hey guys I've collected some information and I can now calculate "P=r*g*h" It is:

999.99 X 9.81 X 11000 = 107 908 920.9
Fluid Density X Acceleration Due To Gravity X Height Of Fluid = Pressure

But this is it pascal, does anyone know the conversion rate from pascal to bar?

Charlie Kay said:
But this is it pascal, does anyone know the conversion rate from pascal to bar?
1 bar = 100,000 Pa.

While we appreciate the traffic, Google will answer these questions in milliseconds...

Likes Chestermiller and Doc Al
And don't forget what 'snatch said: "1 extra atmospheric pressure per 10 metres".
People often forget there's an initial 1 atm at sea level.

DaveC426913 said:
And don't forget what 'snatch said: "1 extra atmospheric pressure per 10 metres".
People often forget there's an initial 1 atm at sea level.
That often falls out of the analysis (for example, for a submarine), but yes, that thought should at least be processed at the start of the analysis.

russ_watters said:
While we appreciate the traffic, Google will answer these questions in milliseconds...

But it's not as friendly and it doest'n give you a straight answer

Charlie Kay said:
But it's not as friendly and it doest'n give you a straight answer
It certainly has its limitations, but it is a life-skill everyone should have.

1. How does depth affect underwater pressure?

As depth increases, the weight of the water above the object also increases, causing an increase in pressure. This is due to the force of gravity acting on the water molecules.

2. What is the formula for calculating underwater pressure?

The formula for calculating underwater pressure is P = ρgh, where P is pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the object.

3. How can I convert underwater pressure from one unit to another?

You can convert underwater pressure from one unit to another by using conversion factors. For example, to convert from atmospheres to pascals, you can multiply the pressure in atmospheres by 101325 (the number of pascals in one atmosphere).

4. Does the shape or size of an object affect underwater pressure?

Yes, the shape and size of an object can affect underwater pressure. Objects with a larger surface area will experience more pressure than smaller objects, and objects with pointy edges or corners will experience more pressure than smooth objects.

5. How can I use my calculations of underwater pressure in practical applications?

Calculating underwater pressure is important in a variety of fields, such as engineering, oceanography, and scuba diving. It can help determine the strength and stability of underwater structures, understand the behavior of marine animals, and plan safe diving depths and decompression stops for scuba divers.