How do I calculate the axial deformation of a member given force and dimensions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter princejan7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Axial Deformation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
princejan7
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
---Quote---
*1. Homework Statement *

http://postimg.org/image/yrbu7a0vb/

*2. Homework Equations *

e(elongation of a member) = (Force * Length)/(Area * Young's Modulus)


*3. The Attempt at a Solution *


Is the force P distributed so that the force on each bar is P/3 so that F2 would be (14/3)?


How do I use that value and the elongation equation to find the width of the gap?
I'm not sure what the relationship should be


thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In (a), the centre column just avoids contact with the beam, leaving the two outer columns to support the entire force P.
 
princejan7 said:
Is the force P distributed so that the force on each bar is P/3 so that F2 would be (14/3)?
In part a)? No. When the gap is only just closed, there is not yet any force on the central pillar.
This is a question about bending moments and beam deflection. I don't see where elongation comes in before part b).
 
haruspex said:
This is a question about bending moments and beam deflection.
I don't think it is. I read it as the rigid beam does not bend.
 
NascentOxygen said:
I don't think it is. I read it as the rigid beam does not bend.
You're right - sorry. I completely misread it.