How do I calculate the maximum rotational speed of a hollow cylinder?

In summary, the maximum rotational speed for a thin walled hollow cylinder is limited by the tensile strength of the material and the radius of the cylinder.
Bobcent
Hello!

How do I calculate the maximum possible rotational speed of a thin walled hollow cylinder? In other words, at what rotational speed will it explode due to centripetal force?

This picture shows the plane of rotation:

http://www.ithaca.edu/faculty/mcsullivan/PH117/CTs/CT-ParallelAxisThereom-IMAGES/HollowCylinder.gif

All I need to know is:

Tensile strength of the material of the cylinder

Radius

Density of the material of the cylinder

Nothing more, right?

Because the cylinder is hollow and thin walled it shouldn't be necessary to integrate, right?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i believe there must be some substance inside the cylinder that will cause it to explode! otherwise, if its empty, why will it explode? doesn't the centripetal force act only on the things 'inside' a rotating frame? i don't think it acts on the frame itself!

Explode. Tear itself apart. Be unable to provide the centripetal force required to maintain the centripetal acceleration associated with the rotation. If you rotate the cylinder fast enough, it will fail to hold together.

OP is correct that you don't have to integrate to solve this. Consider a small section of the cylinder. The whole cylinder spans 2 pi radians. You just want to look at the portion that spans a small angle.

Draw a free body diagram for this section.
What is the mass of the section as a function of the angle that it spans and the mass of the whole cylinder?
What is the centripetal acceleration of this section?
What force is required to sustain the acceleration?
The cylinder material is under tension. Can you express the net force on the small section in terms of the angle that it spans and the tension in the cylinder walls?

oops...i'm extremely sorry! always get confused with centripetal and centrifugal !

You might like the compare this with the same question about a cylinder with internal pressure. The two are closely related, if you compare the pressure with the "centrifugal force" acting on the cylinder when you model it in a rotating coordinate system.

Thanks for the help! :)

1. How do I calculate the maximum rotational speed of a hollow cylinder?

To calculate the maximum rotational speed of a hollow cylinder, you will need to know the radius of the cylinder, the thickness of its walls, and the material it is made of. You will also need to know the maximum allowable stress for that material.

2. What is the formula for calculating the maximum rotational speed of a hollow cylinder?

The formula for calculating the maximum rotational speed of a hollow cylinder is v = (σ/ρ) * √(R/t), where v is the maximum rotational speed, σ is the maximum allowable stress, ρ is the density of the material, R is the radius of the cylinder, and t is the thickness of its walls.

3. How do I determine the maximum allowable stress for a material?

The maximum allowable stress for a material can be found in its material properties or by consulting a materials engineer. It is typically measured in units of stress per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

4. Can the maximum rotational speed of a hollow cylinder be exceeded?

Yes, the maximum rotational speed of a hollow cylinder can be exceeded. However, doing so can result in failure of the cylinder due to excessive stress and can be dangerous. It is important to always stay within the calculated maximum rotational speed for safety.

5. What factors can affect the maximum rotational speed of a hollow cylinder?

The maximum rotational speed of a hollow cylinder can be affected by factors such as the material properties of the cylinder, the design of the cylinder, and the external forces applied to the cylinder. Changes in any of these factors can alter the calculated maximum rotational speed.