How do I calculate wavelength?

• Thread starter Durley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary: However, you might be able to get started by reading the following article:"How to use a graph to solve a physics problem"In summary, the article discusses how to use a graph to solve a physics problem. This will help you understand how to work through the problem you've described.
Durley
I've just begun learning physics for the first time. Please can anyone help me understand how to work through this problem?

In an AC (Alternating Current) circuit, the current, I, measured in Amps (A) varies sinusoidally

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i332...How can I calculate the wavelength of this current? Also, at what times will the current next reach its maximum and minimum values? And how can I estimate the maximum and minimum current from this graph?I wonder if the wavelength is 1/10?

Is the time it next reaches its maximum peak 11 minutes? And 16 minutes for its minimum peak?

Furthermore, is the minimum current -8A and the maximum current 8A?

I'm not if these answers are correct as don't know how to work this question out. I unfortunately don't have a teacher I can ask as I'm an independent student.

Please can anyone help me?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
In an alternating current that current is as you say varying, reaching some maximum flow amount, then reversing and reaching the maximum amount in the opposite direction.
You can't determine what the frequency is just by measuring the current, you would need a device intended for the purpose, typically an oscilloscope

You'll not need to calculate to deduce the required info from the graph(waveform)

Durley said:
I've just begun learning physics for the first time. Please can anyone help me understand how to work through this problem?

In an AC (Alternating Current) circuit, the current, I, measured in Amps (A) varies sinusoidally

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i332...How can I calculate the wavelength of this current? Also, at what times will the current next reach its maximum and minimum values? And how can I estimate the maximum and minimum current from this graph?I wonder if the wavelength is 1/10?

Is the time it next reaches its maximum peak 11 minutes? And 16 minutes for its minimum peak?

Furthermore, is the minimum current -8A and the maximum current 8A?

I'm not if these answers are correct as don't know how to work this question out. I unfortunately don't have a teacher I can ask as I'm an independent student.

Please can anyone help me?

Thank you very much!

Welcome to PF!

The PF Rules require that all users requesting help with a HW problem fill out the HW template.

PF Rules also require that a user attempt a solution before receiving any help with HW.

It's not clear what your HW problem is asking you.

1. How do I calculate wavelength from frequency?

The formula for calculating wavelength from frequency is: wavelength = speed of light / frequency. The speed of light is a constant value of 3.00 x 10^8 m/s. So, if the frequency is given in hertz (Hz), the wavelength can be calculated by dividing the speed of light by the frequency in Hz.

2. How do I calculate wavelength from wave velocity and frequency?

The formula for calculating wavelength from wave velocity and frequency is: wavelength = wave velocity / frequency. The wave velocity is the speed at which the wave travels, which can vary depending on the medium. So, if the frequency is given in hertz (Hz) and the wave velocity is given in meters per second (m/s), the wavelength can be calculated by dividing the wave velocity by the frequency in Hz.

3. How do I calculate wavelength from energy?

The formula for calculating wavelength from energy is: wavelength = speed of light x Planck's constant / energy. Planck's constant is a constant value of 6.63 x 10^-34 joule seconds. So, if the energy is given in joules (J), the wavelength can be calculated by multiplying the speed of light by Planck's constant, and then dividing by the energy in J.

4. How do I calculate wavelength from mass and velocity?

The formula for calculating wavelength from mass and velocity is: wavelength = Planck's constant / (mass x velocity). Planck's constant is a constant value of 6.63 x 10^-34 joule seconds. So, if the mass is given in kilograms (kg) and the velocity is given in meters per second (m/s), the wavelength can be calculated by dividing Planck's constant by the product of the mass and velocity.

5. How do I calculate wavelength from wave period?

The formula for calculating wavelength from wave period is: wavelength = wave velocity x wave period. The wave period is the time it takes for one complete wave cycle to pass a fixed point. So, if the wave velocity is given in meters per second (m/s) and the wave period is given in seconds (s), the wavelength can be calculated by multiplying the wave velocity by the wave period.