How do I correctly integrate the expression for the time-varying magnetic field?

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the variation of magnetic field with position and time. The participants share different expressions and try to find the correct answer. Eventually, a trigonometric property is used to find the correct expression for the current.
big man
Question:

The link below gives the question I'm interested in. The question is p6.2.

http://www.tkk.fi/Yksikot/Sahkomagnetiikka/kurssit/S-96.1101/harjoitukset/S961101_2006_h07.pdf

My Thoughts

OK, now I thought I knew how to do this question. The expression for the magnetic field shows that it varies with the position along y and varies with time.

So what I thought you'd do is this:

[tex]\Phi = \int{B.ds}[/tex]

Where the differential area is given as:

[tex]dS_z=dx dy[/tex]

So the above integral becomes:

[tex]\Phi = b B_0 \int{B.dy}[/tex]

where b is dx (0.1) and [tex]B_0=3 \mu T[/tex] and B is the rest of the expression for the varying magnetic field.

So I thought you'd integrate this expression with limits of 0 to 0.3, but the answer I get is nothing like their answer??

I end up with an expression for the current i of:

[tex]i=- \frac {B_0 b \omega} {R k}[ cos(\omega t -k a)-cos(\omega t)][/tex]

This is nothing like their expression of:

[tex]i=- \frac {B_0 b \omega} {R k} [sin(\frac {1} {2} k a) sin(\omega t- \frac {1} {2} k a)][/tex]

This is simplified by them in the hints section (just scroll down the page to find the hints).

So what am I doing wrong here??

EDIT: oops my expressions for I are meant to contain cosines and not sines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try using this obscure trig property:

[tex] sin(x) - sin(y) = 2 sin(\frac{x-y}{2})cos(\frac{x+y}{2}) [/tex]

See if that helps, or throw some numbers in and graph to see if they are the same.

Thank you so much Norman! That works out perfectly in getting the expression that they have.

Took me a while to find the trigonometric product formulae.

This probably was annoying the crap out of me because I was sure I had it right and it's just such a relief to have it fully completed.

Thanks again!

Related to How do I correctly integrate the expression for the time-varying magnetic field?

What is a time-varying magnetic field?

A time-varying magnetic field is a type of magnetic field that changes in strength or direction over time. This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as the movement of electrical currents or the rotation of magnetic objects.

What are the effects of a time-varying magnetic field?

The effects of a time-varying magnetic field depend on the strength and frequency of the field. In general, it can induce electrical currents in conductive materials, affect the behavior of charged particles, and create electromagnetic waves.

How is a time-varying magnetic field measured?

A time-varying magnetic field is typically measured using a magnetic field sensor, such as a magnetometer. This device can detect changes in the magnetic field and convert them into measurable electrical signals.

What are some real-life applications of time-varying magnetic fields?

Time-varying magnetic fields have a wide range of applications in various fields, including power generation, medical imaging, and telecommunications. They are also used in devices such as electric motors, generators, and transformers.

How can we protect ourselves from the potential hazards of time-varying magnetic fields?

Exposure to high levels of time-varying magnetic fields can have potential health hazards, such as inducing electrical currents in the body. To minimize these risks, it is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations, such as maintaining a safe distance from power lines and using proper shielding in medical equipment.