How do I correctly position A1 and A2 in overdamped parallel RLC circuit?

In summary, the problem is that the values of A1 and A2 in the circuit are incorrect. The correct values are 1.25 and 2 Ohms, respectively, but they are in the wrong places. If someone could point out where I've gone wrong, I would appreciate it.
sevens
For some reason i can't get my A1 and A2 in the correct spots. I get the correct value of these two, but if someone could point out where I've gone wrong, i would apreciate it.

V(0) = 125v
i(0) = 0A

value of the inductor is 1.25h
value of the resistor is 2 Ohms
value of the capacitor is 50mf ( yes i know huge... but its theory, not practice)

the final answer is to find the voltage across the capacitor

Thanks any advice will help.

Attachments

• Picture1 002.jpg
    Picture1 002.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 464
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your answer looks good to me.

Why do you say [tex]\omega_c = \frac{1}{2} Cv^2[/tex] ?

What are the units of this [tex]\omega[/tex] ?

Last edited:
The units of W are Jouls, its energy stored in the capacitor, and i use that formula to find the initial voltage in the capacitor. The answer i got is V(t) and then under that i wrote what the answer should be "actual answer" i keep getting A1 and A2 in the wrong place for several of my circuit analysis. Am i missing some tiny detail.?

Oh, you meant W like work or energy, not [tex]\omega[/tex] like angular frequency. I get that now.

i use that formula to find the initial voltage in the capacitor
But you're given v(0) = 250V as part of the problem statement. And the "final" voltage across the capacitor will be zero. What exactly does the question ask for? It wants the capacitor voltage when?

constants in wrong spot

Yes its true that final voltage across the capacitor will be zero given enough time. The question wants an equation that can be defined in terms of t. So if you take the found equation for example t =2 sec the capacitor will be zero. however if i take t=.0001s there will be some voltage left in the capacitor.

Originaly i was told how much energy was stored in the capacitor which is why i used Wc to find initial Voltage.

overal the problem is that my A1 and my A2 are with the wrong positions. they are the correct values themselves but if you see where i wrote "actual answer" that's the position they should be in.

Thanks for the help :smile:
this problem will crack sooner or later

Last edited:
How did you get [tex]i_R(0) = 0[/tex]?
[tex]i_R(0) = \frac{V_C(0)}{R}[/tex].

He just said i(0)=0. I think it's just one of the initial conditions, like if you were closing a switch at t=0 to connect the cap into the rest of the circuit.

berkeman said:
He just said i(0)=0. I think it's just one of the initial conditions, like if you were closing a switch at t=0 to connect the cap into the rest of the circuit.
Since the initial energy in the inductor is 0, it follows [tex]i_L(0) = 0[/tex].
The resistor is in parallel with the capacitor, which has an initial voltage of 125 V. So, the initial current in the resistor is [tex]\frac{125}{R}A[/tex].

SGT said:
Since the initial energy in the inductor is 0, it follows [tex]i_L(0) = 0[/tex].
The resistor is in parallel with the capacitor, which has an initial voltage of 125 V. So, the initial current in the resistor is [tex]\frac{125}{R}A[/tex].
You've worked with initial conditions in differential equations before, right? As usually stated, the current in the resistor would be zero at t=0-, and the value you state at t=0+. Standard stuff.:rolleyes:

Hmm... SGT is right. If Vc(0+) = 125V, then Ir(0+) = 125/2 = 62.5A since current across the resistor can change suddenly. This means that Ic(0+) = -Ir(0+) = -62.5A which then gives the actual answer.

berkeman said:
You've worked with initial conditions in differential equations before, right? As usually stated, the current in the resistor would be zero at t=0-, and the value you state at t=0+. Standard stuff.:rolleyes:
When you replace initial conditions in the general solution, you use the conditions at t = 0+. The conditions at t = 0- are irrelevant, except in the case of energy storage elements, like capacitors and inductors (or masses and sprigs). For those elements the conditions at t = 0- and t = 0+ are the same, except in the case of an impulsional excitation.

i hate it when experiments don't work the way they should

soooooooooo frustrating!

xxxx Gareth

Related to How do I correctly position A1 and A2 in overdamped parallel RLC circuit?

1. What is an overdamped parallel RLC circuit?

An overdamped parallel RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in parallel. This means that each component has its own separate branch connected to the same input voltage. The circuit is considered overdamped when the value of the damping coefficient is greater than the critical damping coefficient, resulting in a slower response to changes in the input voltage.

2. How does an overdamped parallel RLC circuit behave?

An overdamped parallel RLC circuit behaves differently depending on the values of the components. If the resistor is the largest component, the circuit will behave like a simple resistor circuit. If the inductor or capacitor has a larger value, the circuit will behave like a series RLC circuit. In both cases, the circuit will have a slower response compared to a critically-damped or underdamped circuit.

3. What is the role of the resistor in an overdamped parallel RLC circuit?

The resistor in an overdamped parallel RLC circuit serves to dissipate energy and control the rate of decay of the circuit's response. It also determines the damping ratio, which affects the behavior of the circuit.

4. How do the values of the components affect the behavior of an overdamped parallel RLC circuit?

The values of the components (resistor, inductor, and capacitor) in an overdamped parallel RLC circuit determine the circuit's response to changes in the input voltage. A larger resistor value will result in a slower response, while a larger inductor or capacitor value will result in a more oscillatory response.

5. What are some practical applications of overdamped parallel RLC circuits?

Overdamped parallel RLC circuits are commonly used in electronic filters, such as low-pass and high-pass filters, to remove unwanted frequencies from a signal. They are also used in power supplies to regulate and stabilize the output voltage. In addition, overdamped parallel RLC circuits are used in audio equipment, radio receivers, and other electronic devices for various purposes.