How to solve a cubic equation with two variables and one constant

• Thread starter Spiralshell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
One way is to square both sides of the original equation (which I see you've already done), and doing a bit of rearranging, you get0 = 8x^3 - 5x^2 - 6x + 1 .This is a cubic (degree 3) polynomial equation in x, and you can find its roots by various methods - like guessing, or use "rational root theorem", or the "quadratic formula" in the form of the "cubic formula" (which is a bit tedious). Once you find one root, you can divide it out to get a quadratic equation, and solve that for the other two roots. This is all rather advanced, and not something
Spiralshell

Homework Statement

SOLVE: √(X)-3√(X-1)=1

//That is SQRT(X)-CBRT(X-1)=1; where SQRT = Square root, and CBRT = Cube root.

Homework Equations

None that I know of...

The Attempt at a Solution

(I would like to note I have no idea whether I am even approaching this problem the correct way.)

√(X)-3√(X-1)=1
(√(X) - 3√(X-1))3=13
(√(X)-3√(X-1))((√(X)-3√(X-1))((√(X)-3√(X-1))

Now I foil the first two right? Then leave the 3rd and do the sum of cubes? I don't know what happens when you multiply a square root to a cube, I imagine it is something like: e.g. SQRT(X) * CBRT(X) = X^(1/2) * X(1/3) = X^(1/6) which would be 6√X, but then what do I do?

Also, my professor gave us the answers, but never showed us how to solve it. The answers are X=0, 1, and 9 (THIS IS NOT A GIVEN).

I feel so lost and I can't find this anywhere in my precalculus book :(! Nothing even remotely similar...

Homework Statement

9x-2(3x+1)+9=0

Homework Equations

None that I know of...

So, my professor showed us how to do this one, but I don't understand it at all...
9x=(32)x=(3x)2 //no idea what this is...
9x-2(3x+1)+9=0
3(x)2-6(3x)+9=0 //I don't understand how we get 3(x)2, remove X+1 for X
LET Y=3x How do we decide this?
Y2-6y+9=0 //I Understand it from here on..

I just need a lot of clarification to understand this stuff.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Spiralshell said:

Homework Statement

9x-2(3x+1)+9=0

Homework Equations

None that I know of...

So, my professor showed us how to do this one, but I don't understand it at all...
9x=(32)x=(3x)2 //no idea what this is...
9x-2(3x+1)+9=0
3(x)2-6(3x)+9=0 //I don't understand how we get 3(x)2, remove X+1 for X
LET Y=3x How do we decide this?
Y2-6y+9=0 //I Understand it from here on..

I just need a lot of clarification to understand this stuff.

[itex] 9 = 3^2 \text{ so } 9^x = (3^2)^x = 3^{2x} = (3^x)^2[/itex]

[itex]\text{Now } 3^{x+1} = 3\times 3^x[/itex]

[itex]\text{So we sub them into the equation } 9^x + 2(3^{x+1}) + 9 = 0 [/itex]

[itex] (3^x)^2 + 2(3\times 3^x) + 9 = 0 [/itex]

[itex](3^x)^2 + 6(3^x) + 9 = 0[/itex]

[itex]\text{As you can hopefully see, this is a quadratic. We let } y = 3^x \text{ as it just makes the quadratic nice to play with and look at to find the solutions.}[/itex]

Spiralshell said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

None that I know of...

(I would like to note I have no idea whether I am even approaching this problem the correct way.)

√(X)-3√(X-1)=1
(√(X) - 3√(X-1))3=13
(√(X)-3√(X-1))((√(X)-3√(X-1))((√(X)-3√(X-1))

Now I foil the first two right? Then leave the 3rd and do the sum of cubes? I don't know what happens when you multiply a square root to a cube, I imagine it is something like: e.g. SQRT(X) * CBRT(X) = X^(1/2) * X(1/3) = X^(1/6) which would be 6√X, but then what do I do?

Also, my professor gave us the answers, but never showed us how to solve it. The answers are X=0, 1, and 9 (THIS IS NOT A GIVEN).

I feel so lost and I can't find this anywhere in my precalculus book :(! Nothing even remotely similar...

[itex]\text{Remember the rules for indices } x^a \times x^b = x^{a+b} \text{ Try expanding the brackets, see where that takes you.}[/itex]

Spiralshell said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

None that I know of...

√(X)-3√(X-1)=1
(√(X) - 3√(X-1))3=13
Yuck. I wouldn't do that. I would rearrange the equation so that the cube root is isolated, and then cube both sides.
[itex]\sqrt{x} - \sqrt[3]{x - 1} = 1[/itex]
[itex]\sqrt{x} - 1 = \sqrt[3]{x - 1}[/itex]
[itex]\left( \sqrt{x} - 1 \right)^3 = \left( \sqrt[3]{x - 1} \right)^3[/itex]

Thanks for your hasty replies! I really appreciate your help. I am still having trouble with:

√(X)-3√(X-1)=1 //I still don't understand how to get ALL the roots, that being X=0, X=1, and X=9. How do I figure these out?

I took the advice of you both and here is what I came up with...

√(X)-1=3√(X-1)
(√(X)-1)3=X-1
(√X-1)(√X-1)
(X-√(X)-√(X)+1)(√(X)-1)
X^3/2-2X+√(X)-X+2√(X)-1
X^3/2-3X+√(X)+2√(X)-1=X-1
X^3/2-4X+3√(X)=0

But, now how do I find the roots?

Spiralshell said:
Thanks for your hasty replies! I really appreciate your help. I am still having trouble with:

√(X)-3√(X-1)=1 //I still don't understand how to get ALL the roots, that being X=0, X=1, and X=9. How do I figure these out?

I took the advice of you both and here is what I came up with...

√(X)-1=3√(X-1)
(√(X)-1)3=X-1
(√X-1)(√X-1)
(X-√(X)-√(X)+1)(√(X)-1)
X^3/2-2X+√(X)-X+2√(X)-1
X^3/2-3X+√(X)+2√(X)-1=X-1
X^3/2-4X+3√(X)=0

You are almost there now. Just change it to

[itex]x^{\frac{3}{2}} + 3\sqrt{x}=4x[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{x}(x+3)=4x[/itex]

Now square both sides.

I do not understand what you are doing here

Spiralshell said:
(√(X)-1)3=X-1
(√X-1)(√X-1)
(X-√(X)-√(X)+1)(√(X)-1)

though between you and bread you seem to be getting the right result.

Natural would be to expand the two-term (binomial) cube according to the general expansion

(a - b)3 = a3 - 3a2b + 3ab2 - b3 .

Here a is √x and b is 1.

You then get an expression with √x in it and other terms, you then have to rearrange so one term involving √x is on one side of the equation and the other side contains no such terms, so that when you square both sides it will be free of square roots. (Oof, longer to explain than to do!)

Spiralshell said:
X^3/2-4X+3√(X)=0

You could make a substitution: let
[itex]y = \sqrt{x}[/itex]
Then
[itex]x^{3/2} - 4x + 3\sqrt{x} = 0[/itex]
would become
[itex]\text{_____} - 4\text{_____} + 3y = 0[/itex]
(I'll let you figure out what goes in the blanks.)
Solve for y, and then substitute the square root of back in.

FAQ: How to solve a cubic equation with two variables and one constant

1. How do I find all the roots using a quadratic formula?

To find all the roots of a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / 2a. Plug in the values of a, b, and c from your equation and solve for x. The resulting values of x will be the two roots of the equation.

2. Can I use the quadratic formula to find all the roots of any type of polynomial equation?

No, the quadratic formula can only be used to find the roots of a quadratic equation. For polynomials of higher degrees, there are other methods such as factoring, graphing, or using the rational root theorem.

3. How do I know if my equation has complex roots?

If the discriminant (b^2-4ac) of your quadratic equation is negative, then the roots will be complex numbers. Complex roots are also indicated by the presence of imaginary numbers (i) in the solution.

4. Can I use the quadratic formula to find roots of a cubic or higher degree polynomial?

No, the quadratic formula can only be used for equations of degree 2. For higher degree polynomials, you will need to use other methods such as factoring, graphing, or using numerical methods like Newton's method.

5. How do I find all the roots if my equation has a repeated root?

If your equation has a repeated root, it means that the value of x that satisfies the equation is the same for both solutions. In this case, you can use the discriminant to determine the type of repeated root. If the discriminant is zero, it is a double root. If the discriminant is positive, it is a repeated real root. If the discriminant is negative, it is a repeated complex root.

Back