How do I find eigenstates and eigenvalues from a spin operator?

In summary: What exactly is the matrix?In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the eigenstates and eigenvalues of a spin operator. The individual has managed to find the eigenvalues but is unsure about how to find the eigenstates. They attempt to form a matrix but are unsure about the values of lambda and phi. The other individual questions their understanding of finding eigenvectors and notes that this topic is typically covered in lower-division linear algebra and differential equations courses.
johnpaul543

Homework Statement

I have a spin operator and have to find the eigenstates from it and then calculate the eigenvalues.
I think I managed to get the eigenvalues but am not sure how to get the eigenstates.

Homework Equations

gif.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I managed to get the eigenvalues out to be ±1 by forming the following matrix
gif.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
That matrix is wrong. What is ##\lambda##? What does ##\sin^{\pm i\lambda}## even mean?

Have you really never found eigenvectors for a matrix? It's typically covered in lower-division linear algebra and differential equations. It seems a bit strange that you'd be in a course asking you to do this problem without having taken the math courses.

vela said:
That matrix is wrong. What is ##\lambda##? What does ##\sin^{\pm i\lambda}## even mean?

Have you really never found eigenvectors for a matrix? It's typically covered in lower-division linear algebra and differential equations. It seems a bit strange that you'd be in a course asking you to do this problem without having taken the math courses.

Apologies the ##\sin^{\pm i\lambda}## is incorrect and meant to say ##\sin^{\pm i\varphi}## and yes I have taken eigenvectors before, just not one similar to this.

johnpaul543 said:
meant to say ##\sin^{\pm i\varphi}##
That doesn't make sense either.

What is an eigenstate of a spin operator?

An eigenstate of a spin operator is a state in which the spin of a quantum particle is in a definite orientation, either up or down. This means that when the spin operator is applied to the state, the result is a multiple of the original state.

How is an eigenstate of a spin operator different from other quantum states?

An eigenstate of a spin operator is unique because it is an eigenstate of a specific operator, the spin operator. This means that the spin of the particle is well-defined and can be measured with certainty, unlike other quantum states where the spin is in a superposition of multiple orientations.

What is the significance of eigenstates of spin operators in quantum mechanics?

Eigenstates of spin operators are important in quantum mechanics because they provide a basis for measuring the spin of quantum particles. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in magnetic fields and in quantum computing.

Can a particle be in an eigenstate of both the x and y spin operators simultaneously?

No, a particle cannot be in an eigenstate of both the x and y spin operators at the same time. This is because these operators do not commute, meaning that they cannot have simultaneous eigenstates. This is a manifestation of the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics.

How are eigenstates of spin operators related to the spin quantum number?

The spin quantum number of a particle is determined by the eigenvalue of the spin operator for that particle's state. For example, if the spin operator has an eigenvalue of +1/2, the particle has a spin quantum number of +1/2. This relationship allows us to use spin operators to characterize the spin of quantum particles.