How do I find my webcam's DPI ?

• Thread starter btb4198
  • Start date

Summary:

How do I find my webcam's pdi ? Is there a way to do this in C# ?

Main Question or Discussion Point

How do I find my webcam's DPI ? Is there a way to do this in C# ?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
What's a pdi? My Google-fu is failing me...

What's a pdi? My Google-fu is failing me...
DPI stands for Dots Per Inch which technically means printer dots per inch.

berkeman
Mentor
DPI stands for Dots Per Inch which technically means printer dots per inch.
Oh, LOL. No wonder Google couldn't figure it out either. DPI is a printer spec, not a camera spec. Just look for the resolution spec for your webcam. It will be ___ x ___ (fill in the number of pixels in x and y). :smile:

berkeman
Mentor
For example, look up HD 1080p from this webcam datasheet...

1574037997625.png

I need to convert pixel to Micrometre.
so I have a C# program that displays a live video using Aforge and I can draw a blue box inside the image and I can get the dimensions in pixel but I need them in Micrometre.

I read online that I need the dpi to convert it in to mm then from there I can convert it in to Micrometre.

so I have a C# program that displays a live video using Aforge and I can draw a blue box inside the image and I can get the dimensions in pixel but I need them in Micrometre.

I read online that I need the dpi to convert it in to mm then from there I can convert it in to Micrometre.
That doesn't sound good enough. Think of a zoom lens. Having a constant number of pixels, the lens can zoom in or zoom out, covering very different areas.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
A meaningless task. You are trying to convert to a unit of distance something which is not a measure of distance.

A meaningless task. You are trying to convert to a unit of distance something which is not a measure of distance.
phinds can you explain what you mean by a meaningless task ?

I have a camera set up as a microscope to view something really small that is in the Micrometre scale.
if I draw a box around an area in the video player and convert it to Micrometres would that not give me the Exact dimensions on the object I am looking at.

berkeman
Mentor

I have a camera set up as a microscope to view something really small that is in the Micrometre scale.
if I draw a box around an area in the video player and convert it to Micrometres would that not give me the Exact dimensions on the object I am looking at.
So you are trying to use your camera to measure things in your microscope setup? It would have helped if you said that from the beginning, IMO.

Does your microscope's optics have a graticule option?

So you are trying to use your camera to measure things in your microscope setup? It would have helped if you said that from the beginning, IMO.

Does your microscope's optics have a graticule option?
What is a graticule option?

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member

Convert WHAT to mm? Pixels in the video player? No way.

If you put a small rule next to it that you know is measured in mm, fine, but if you are expecting the camera to tell the physical size of an object photographed, forget it.

EDIT: you don't seem to be listening to what people are telling you. I will try to be more specific. Take a picture of the moon such that it fills half the image. Take a picture of a tiny bug through a microscope such that it fills up half of the image. Each will have the same number of pixels. Do you think they are therefor the same size?

berkeman
Mentor
What is a graticule option?
Google Images search on microscope graticule... :smile:

1574043882711.png

berkeman
Mentor
Yes. What model is your microscope?

Also, another option would be to get some slides for your microscope that have graticules on them. You can image the slide first, and then put your object under the microscope at the same magnification and image it. That will give you a ruler to measure your object by.

Convert WHAT to mm? Pixels in the video player? No way.

If you put a small rule next to it that you know is measured in mm, fine, but if you are expecting the camera to tell the physical size of an object photographed, forget it.

EDIT: you don't seem to be listening to what people are telling you. I will try to be more specific. Take a picture of the moon such that it fills half the image. Take a picture of a tiny bug through a microscope such that it fills up half of the image. Each will have the same number of pixels. Do you think they are therefor the same size?
lol that makes complete sense. no they would not be the same size.

berkeman
Mentor
Also, another option would be to get some slides for your microscope that have graticules on them. You can image the slide first, and then put your object under the microscope at the same magnification and image it. That will give you a ruler to measure your object by.
Like these:

1574045023614.png

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Yep. That is exactly what I do for wood micrographs with both my camera (up to 12X) and a cheap microscope (up to about 400X). You can see some of the results on my profile page

Yes. What model is your microscope?

Hi thanks for all the help!! so I do not know the information of the microscope, there are other people that are handling the Optical side of this project, so I will have them look in to that.

but question, how do people get speed of a moving car from video cam?

berkeman
Mentor
but question, how do people get speed of a moving car from video cam?
You aim your camera at the speedometer. Please do this hands-free, so you don't get into trouble with law enforcement...

1574046486692.png

lol that is funny