How do I find the antiderivative of (x^2+1)/√x for integration?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Checkfate
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Antiderivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Checkfate
Messages
149
Reaction score
0
Hi, I am trying to integrate [tex]\int_{1}^{2} \frac{x^{2}+1}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex] using the Evaluation Theorem.

So my first step is to find the antiderivative of [tex]\frac{x^{2}+1}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex].. And that is where my troubles lie.

I start by rewriting it as [tex](x^{2}+1)*(x^{-1/2}}[/tex] but then realize that I don't know how to find the antiderivative..

I tried using the rule [tex]x^{n}=\frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}[/tex]

and got [tex](\frac{x^{3}}{3}+x)*2*\sqrt{x}[/tex] but this does not differentiate into the original function, can someone help me out?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider your function;

[tex](x^2 +1)\cdot x^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

Now open the parentheses.
 
Aha, got it :) Okay so generally you always want to multiply out to get addition and subtraction, right?

And I got [tex]\frac{2x^{5/2}}{5}+2x^{1/2}[/tex] which is correct :).
 
Checkfate said:
Aha, got it :) Okay so generally you always want to multiply out to get addition and subtraction, right?

And I got [tex]\frac{2x^{5/2}}{5}+2x^{1/2}[/tex] which is correct :).
Yes, it is usually easier to multiply out the parentheses since you can integrate [or differentiate] each term individually. You could of course use integration by parts to find the integral directly from the factorised form but this would be far more complicated.