How do I find the antiderivative of (x^2+1)/√x for integration?

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem with integrating a function using the Evaluation Theorem. The first step was to find the antiderivative of the function, which was rewritten as (x^2 + 1)*(x^(-1/2)). The conversation also mentioned attempting to use the rule x^n = (x^(n+1))/(n+1) but realizing it did not differentiate into the original function. Eventually, it was suggested to open the parentheses and multiply out the terms, resulting in the correct antiderivative of (2x^(5/2))/5 + 2x^(1/2). It was also mentioned that integration by parts could be used, but it would be more
Checkfate
Hi, I am trying to integrate [tex]\int_{1}^{2} \frac{x^{2}+1}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex] using the Evaluation Theorem.

So my first step is to find the antiderivative of [tex]\frac{x^{2}+1}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex].. And that is where my troubles lie.

I start by rewriting it as [tex](x^{2}+1)*(x^{-1/2}}[/tex] but then realize that I don't know how to find the antiderivative..

I tried using the rule [tex]x^{n}=\frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1} [/tex]

and got [tex] (\frac{x^{3}}{3}+x)*2*\sqrt{x}[/tex] but this does not differentiate into the original function, can someone help me out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider your function;

[tex](x^2 +1)\cdot x^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

Now open the parentheses.

Aha, got it :) Okay so generally you always want to multiply out to get addition and subtraction, right?

And I got [tex]\frac{2x^{5/2}}{5}+2x^{1/2}[/tex] which is correct :).

Checkfate said:
Aha, got it :) Okay so generally you always want to multiply out to get addition and subtraction, right?

And I got [tex]\frac{2x^{5/2}}{5}+2x^{1/2}[/tex] which is correct :).
Yes, it is usually easier to multiply out the parentheses since you can integrate [or differentiate] each term individually. You could of course use integration by parts to find the integral directly from the factorised form but this would be far more complicated.

Okay great, thanks.

Checkfate said:
Okay great, thanks.
My pleasure

Related to How do I find the antiderivative of (x^2+1)/√x for integration?

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative, also known as an indefinite integral, is the reverse process of differentiation. It is a function whose derivative is equal to the original function.

2. How do I find the antiderivative of a function?

To find the antiderivative of a function, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule depending on the form of the function. You can also use a table of common antiderivatives or apply integration techniques such as integration by parts or substitution.

3. Why is finding the antiderivative important?

Finding the antiderivative allows us to solve problems involving accumulation or the reverse process of differentiation. It is also used in various fields of science and engineering to model and solve real-world problems.

4. Can every function have an antiderivative?

No, not every function has an antiderivative. Some functions, such as non-elementary functions, do not have an antiderivative that can be expressed in terms of elementary functions. In these cases, we use numerical methods to approximate the antiderivative.

5. How do I check if my answer is correct when finding an antiderivative?

You can check if your answer is correct by differentiating the antiderivative you found. If the result is the original function, then your answer is correct. You can also use online antiderivative calculators or graphing software to verify your answer.