How do I find the point P on a circle with a slope of 2 from (0,0)?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary: I have been involved with math help for over 7 years now, and I have...In summary, you have been involved with math help for a long time.
mathdad
Find a point P on the circle x^2 + y^2 = 20 such that the slope of the radius drawn from (0, 0) to P is 2. (You will get two answers.)

There are no sample questions in the book for me to follow.

What are the steps needed for me to solve this problem?

Why two answers?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Consider the circle:

\(\displaystyle (x-h)^2+(y-k)^2=r^2\)

and the line:

\(\displaystyle y=m(x-h)+k\)

This line passes through the center of the circle, and so will intersect the circle at two points (and the slope of the two resulting radii will be $m$). You have two equations in two unknowns...what do you find?

MarkFL said:
Consider the circle:

\(\displaystyle (x-h)^2+(y-k)^2=r^2\)

and the line:

This line passes through the center of the circle, and so will intersect the circle at two points (and the slope of the two resulting radii will be $m$). You have two equations in two unknowns...what do you find?

Are you saying that I must plug the value of y as given in the second equation into (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2?

RTCNTC said:
Are you saying that I must plug the value of y as given in the second equation into (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2?

I would observe that the equation of the line may be arranged as:

\(\displaystyle y-k=m(x-h)\)

Now, plug into the equation of the circle for $y-k$...to get:

\(\displaystyle (x-h)^2+m^2(x-h)^2=r^2\)

Now, you can solve this for $x$, and from this value of $x$ determine the value of $y$...what do you get?

MarkFL said:
I would observe that the equation of the line may be arranged as:

\(\displaystyle y-k=m(x-h)\)

Now, plug into the equation of the circle for $y-k$...to get:

Now, you can solve this for $x$, and from this value of $x$ determine the value of $y$...what do you get?

I am on the train now. I will work on this later or tomorrow.

RTCNTC said:
I am on the train now. I will work on this later or tomorrow.

There is no (y - k) in your equation of the circle not centered at the origin? Is this a typo?

RTCNTC said:
There is no (y - k) in your equation of the circle not centered at the origin? Is this a typo?

No, I made a substitution...

I will work on this question later. On the bus going home now. I need to solve for x. After doing so, what is the next step? What does solving for x yield in this case?

RTCNTC said:
I will work on this question later. On the bus going home now. I need to solve for x. After doing so, what is the next step? What does solving for x yield in this case?

What I would is with:

Solve for $x-h$ and plug that into:

to get the $y$-coordinates. Then solve the equation you have for $x-h$ for $x$, and you'll have the $x$-coordinates...make sure you pair the corresponding coordinates correctly.

Now you'll have formulas for the coordinates...you just need to identify $h,k,r,m$ in the specific given problem.

(x - h)^2 + m^2(x - h)^2 = r^2

(x - h)^2[1 + m^2] = r^2

(x - h)^2 = r^2/(1 + m^2)

Taking the square root on both sides, we get

x - h = r/[sqrt(1 + m^2)]

y = m(x - h) + k

y = m(r/[sqrt(1 + m^2)]) + k

RTCNTC said:
(x - h)^2 + m^2(x - h)^2 = r^2

(x - h)^2[1 + m^2] = r^2

(x - h)^2 = r^2/(1 + m^2)

Taking the square root on both sides, we get

x - h = r/[sqrt(1 + m^2)]

y = m(x - h) + k

y = m(r/[sqrt(1 + m^2)]) + k

Hard_To_Read_Blog_Post.jpeg

Is the picture indicating confusion at my end?

RTCNTC said:
Is the picture indicating confusion at my end?

No, it is indicating difficulty on my end in reading plain text math. :)

Can you solve this problem for me? Also, why are my pictures too big for this site but not at the MHF? You are also a member of the MHF, right?

RTCNTC said:
Can you solve this problem for me?

THis problem will provide both a good opportunity to develop your math skills, and to develop your $\LaTeX$ skills. If you're like me, you will learn a great deal more by doing rather than watching.

RTCNTC said:
Also, why are my pictures too big for this site but not at the MHF? You are also a member of the MHF, right?

We have reasonable image size restrictions in place here. I don't recall anyone before having any issue with it. If you find an image is too large, then use an image editor to either shrink the dimensions, or reduce the image quality so that the size of the file is reduced.

Using images in place of $\LaTeX$, except in rare cases where a diagram is included, isn't what I would consider a viable alternative. You will eventually run into a limitation on the total amount of images you are allowed to upload, and it wouldn't allow people to simply edit a quoting of your post to correct any math.

I have been involved with math help for over 7 years now, and I have never seen anyone fight using $\LaTeX$ so much. It is something you really should take the time to do. :)

I will try to upload a picture reply. If not, then I will try LaTex. Honestly, LaTex delays my typing work.

1. How do I find the coordinates of point P on a circle with a slope of 2 from (0,0)?

To find the coordinates of point P, we first need to determine the radius of the circle. This can be done by using the Pythagorean theorem, where the radius is the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the x-intercept and y-intercept of the circle. Once we have the radius, we can use the slope formula to find the coordinates of point P.

2. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it used to find the radius of a circle?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. In the context of finding the radius of a circle, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the distance from the center of the circle to any point on the circle's circumference.

3. Can the slope of a circle be 2 at any point?

No, the slope of a circle is constantly changing and cannot have a single value at any given point. However, we can find the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on the circle's circumference.

4. How does the slope formula help in finding the coordinates of point P?

The slope formula, y = mx + b, is used to find the slope of a line passing through two given points. In this case, we can use the slope formula with the known slope of 2 and the coordinates of (0,0) to find the coordinates of point P on the circle.

5. Is it possible to find point P on a circle without knowing its center?

Yes, it is possible to find point P on a circle without knowing its center. As long as we have the slope and one point on the circle, we can use the slope formula to find the coordinates of any other point on the circle's circumference. However, knowing the center of the circle can make the calculation process easier and more accurate.