How do we overcome the challenges of sending humans to the moon and Mars?

• Thread starter yalgaar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars Moon
In summary, the challenges for man to go to the moon and Mars include the speed of the launch, the direction the shuttle is launched at, the amount and type of fuel used, the velocity of the journey, and the ability to put large objects on the surface.
yalgaar
Based on my title, I have the following questions:

1) What are all the challenges for man to go on the moon?

2) What are all the challenges for man to go on the Mars planet?

I am mostly interested in what speed, what direction the shuttle is launched at? How much fuel is used in this? What velocity is it traveling at various point of the journey? How does it actually land on the moon and mars?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
That's an extremely broad question. You could start by reading the Wik entry on the Apollo program, then come back with specific questions...

Last edited:
yalgaar said:
Based on my title, I have the following questions:

1) What are all the challenges for man to go on the moon?

2) What are all the challenges for man to go on the Mars planet?

I am mostly interested in what speed, what direction the shuttle is launched at? How much fuel is used in this? What velocity is it traveling at various point of the journey? How does it actually land on the moon and mars?
The answer dependent on the purpose of the mission - short stay like Apollo or beginning a long term occupied base, which requires considerable resources. A lunar and Martian base will require oxygen, water and energy.

How many people?

Also, a shuttle will not do. The Shuttle is for near Earth orbit.

For Moon and Mars, NASA is developing the Crew Exploration Vehicle (CEV), which is a larger variant of the Apollo capsule. That will be supplemented with a cargo vehicle, and both will use a Shuttle-derived booster system.

For Mars, I'd add a Skylab/ISS type of Mars Orbital Station to supplement a surface facility. Putting large objects on Mars (and even the Moon) will be challenging.

1. How long does it take to get to the Moon and Mars?

The length of a trip to the Moon and Mars varies depending on the spacecraft and trajectory used. On average, it takes about 3 days to reach the Moon and 7 months to reach Mars.

2. What type of spacecraft is used to go to the Moon and Mars?

Most missions to the Moon and Mars use rockets or spacecrafts that are specifically designed for deep space travel. These spacecrafts are equipped with powerful engines, advanced navigation systems, and specialized equipment for life support and communication.

3. How much does it cost to go to the Moon and Mars?

The cost of a mission to the Moon and Mars can vary greatly depending on the specific mission objectives and the spacecraft used. On average, it can cost anywhere from $50 million to billions of dollars.

4. How do astronauts survive in space during the journey to the Moon and Mars?

Astronauts are trained and equipped to survive in space during their journey to the Moon and Mars. They have specialized spacesuits for protection, and their spacecraft is designed to provide a livable environment with food, water, and oxygen.

5. Can anyone go to the Moon and Mars?

Currently, only trained astronauts are able to go to the Moon and Mars. However, with the advancement of technology, it is possible that in the future, space travel may become more accessible to the general public.