How do i make a heavy object float?

• Thread starter malek340
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Float
In summary, to make a 5kg gel cell battery float in water, you will need to calculate the total volume of battery and synthetic foam with a density lower than water. The foam will provide about 60 lbs of buoyancy per cubic foot, slightly less in fresh water compared to salt water.
malek340
I have a 5kg gel cell battery that i have calculated to have a buoyancy force of 36.739N and weight of 50N. I need a synthethic foam float to make it float in the water. How do i calculate to make it float?

Physics news on Phys.org
The density for the battery+float must be less than the density of water. First you need to know the volume of your battery. Then, if you know the density of the foam you are going to use for buoyancy, you can calculate the total volume of battery+foam you will need for it to have a lower density than water.

The foam will give you about 60 lbs of buoyancy per cubic foot. Perhaps a little less depending on which foam you select. I assume salt water. A little less in fresh water.

1. How does an object float?

When an object is placed in a fluid, such as water, it displaces a certain amount of that fluid. If the weight of the object is less than the weight of the fluid it has displaced, it will float.

2. What makes an object heavy?

An object's weight is determined by its mass and the force of gravity on that mass. The heavier an object is, the more force it exerts on the fluid it is in, making it harder for it to float.

3. How can I make a heavy object float?

One way to make a heavy object float is to decrease its weight by removing some of its mass. This can be done by hollowing out the object or using materials with lower densities. Another way is to increase the amount of fluid it displaces, such as by adding air-filled compartments.

4. Does the shape of an object affect its ability to float?

Yes, the shape of an object can affect its ability to float. Objects with a larger surface area in contact with the fluid will displace more fluid and therefore have a better chance of floating. Objects with a more streamlined shape, like a boat, also tend to float better because they experience less resistance from the fluid.

5. How do I calculate the weight of the fluid an object displaces?

To calculate the weight of the fluid an object displaces, you can use the formula W = V x D x g, where W is the weight of the fluid in Newtons, V is the volume of the displaced fluid in cubic meters, D is the density of the fluid in kilograms per cubic meter, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This will give you the maximum weight the object can displace before it sinks.