How Do I Prove This Tautology?

• Thread starter Rome_Leader
  • Start date
In summary, the statement (p or r) & (not(p) or r) results in r being a tautology, which means it is always true. This can be proven without using truth tables by distributing the implication and then expanding the terms. This simplifies the problem and makes it easier to solve.
Rome_Leader

Homework Statement

[ (p or r) & (not(p) or r) ] ---> r is a tautology. Prove this without using truth tables.

Homework Equations

See above. not(p) = !p = p' = the opposite value of p and ---> is an implication.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have made some prior simplification, and that is what I have at present. I don't know where to go from here. Expanding the terms seems to make things too complicated. Is there a shorter way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I've solved it! For anyone interested in the solution, I just had to distribute the implication and then expanding was a lot quicker!

1. How do I determine if a statement is a tautology?

To prove a statement is a tautology, you must show that it is true for all possible truth values of its variables. This can be done through methods such as truth tables, logical equivalences, or mathematical induction.

2. Can tautologies be proven using formal logic?

Yes, formal logic provides a systematic approach to proving tautologies. This includes using rules of inference and logical equivalences to show that a statement is always true.

3. What is the difference between a tautology and a contradiction?

A tautology is a statement that is always true, regardless of the truth values of its variables. A contradiction is a statement that is always false. In other words, a tautology is a statement that is always true, while a contradiction is a statement that is always false.

4. Can tautologies be proven using evidence or empirical data?

No, tautologies are statements that are true by definition and do not require evidence or empirical data to prove them. They are based on the logical structure of the statement and not on external evidence.

5. Are there any common mistakes when trying to prove a tautology?

One common mistake is assuming that a statement is a tautology without fully proving it. It is important to use a systematic approach and provide evidence for all possible truth values of the variables in the statement. Another mistake is using incorrect logical equivalences or rules of inference in the proof.