How do I put the top of an image at the top of a page in LaTeX?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter PhizKid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Image Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with printing an image in LaTeX where the top half is cut off and runs off the page. The person asks for help on how to move the image down so that it is below the page number at the top of the page. They have tried using vspace{50mm} and \\[50\baselineskip] but the image does not move. A solution is suggested to try using figure positioning or removing the width and using scale instead. A resource for more information is also provided.
PhizKid
So I just have one line for the image:

Code:
\includegraphics[width=10mm]{C:/Users/PhizKid/Desktop/image1.png}\\

And then some text to explain the image below it.

But when I try to print it out, approximately top half of the image is cut off and it runs off the top of the page.

How do I move the image down so that the top of the image is at the top of the page, but below the page number at the top of the page (where the text usually starts if you begin to type in a new page)?

I tried using vspace{50mm} and \\[50\baselineskip] before the image code, but the image doesn't move up or down at all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. How do I put the top of an image at the top of a page in LaTeX?

To put the top of an image at the top of a page in LaTeX, you can use the \begin{figure}[t] command before the \includegraphics command. This will place the image at the top of the page.

2. What if the image is still not at the top of the page?

If the image is still not at the top of the page, you can add the optional argument [!t] after the \begin{figure} command. This will force LaTeX to place the image at the top of the page.

3. Can I adjust the placement of the image on the page?

Yes, you can adjust the placement of the image by using the [h], [b], or [p] options after the [t] option. These options correspond to placing the image here, at the bottom of the page, or on a separate page, respectively.

4. How do I add a caption to the image?

To add a caption to the image, you can use the \caption{} command after the \includegraphics command. You can also add a label for referencing the image later using the \label{} command.

5. Can I resize the image in LaTeX?

Yes, you can resize the image in LaTeX by using the optional arguments [width=] or [height=] after the \includegraphics command. You can specify the desired width or height in inches, centimeters, or other units.