1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How do I rewrite sin(x^1/2)?

1. May 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I would like to know how to rewrite sin[x^(1/2)]? I have to do a laplace transform of a certain equation but I need to get it into a more usable form...

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking of using the binomial theorem but 1/2 is neither a even or odd number so I can't use it?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I don't think there is a way to get in a more usable form. Was your equation to solve directly involving sin(√x)?

4. May 8, 2010 #3
    essentially, yes, where x = at. and

f(t) = sin(√at)

I didn't know how to solve it because there was a t^(1/2) term X_X. Do you have any ideas?

Can I just use the formula L(f) = F(s) = [tex]\int[/tex]f(t)e-st dt where the integration runs from 0 to infinity, even though I have a t^(1/2) term?

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  5. May 8, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Of course. That is the definition of the Laplace transform after all (you are missing your integration limits though)

6. May 9, 2010 #5
    can you have a fourier transform with a complex number in it? The answer I got has a complex number in it...

7. May 9, 2010 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If [itex]a[/itex] is real, your answer should be too. When you take the Laplace transform of a real-valued function, you get a real-valued function.

Maybe you should show us your calculation...

8. May 9, 2010 #7
    You could try 'u' substitution

9. May 9, 2010 #8
    well I'm not sure how to do all the symbols and stuff very well, but basically, I did

[tex]\int[/tex]sin[(at)1/2]e-stdt

substituted 1/(2i) * ( exp[i(at)1/2] - exp[-i(at)1/2] ) for the sine term, integrated with limits between 0 and infinity, and eventually got

-i / s

as my answer, where i is an imaginary number.

10. May 9, 2010 #9

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See my sig :wink:

Your method looks fine, but your result doesn't....show the rest of your calculations

11. May 9, 2010 #10
    Okay!

1/(2i) * [ [tex]\int[/tex] exp[i(at)1/2] - st] dt - [tex]\int[/tex] exp[-i(at)1/2] - st] dt ] =

1/(2i) * [ 1 / [ i(a / 2(at)1/2) - s] - 1 / [ -i(a / 2(at)1/2) - s] ]

*note at this point I plugged in 0 for t for the lower limit and infinity for the upper limit of t from integration*
    = 1/(2i) * [1/s + 1/s]
    = 1/(2i) * [2/s]
    = 1/is = -i/s

12. May 9, 2010 #11

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You seem to be claiming that

[tex]\int e^{h(t)}dt=\frac{e^{h(t)}}{h'(t)}[/tex]

Is that really true? (Use the product rule to differentiate [tex]\frac{e^{h(t)}}{h'(t)}[/tex] and see if you get [itex]e^{h(t)}[/tex])

Instead, start with the substitution [itex]u=\sqrt{at}[/itex] and then complete the square on the exponent...

13. May 9, 2010 #12
    I did the substitution and now I have an exponent equal to

exp(iu - su2/a)

and another equal to

exp(-iu - su2/a)

can I complete the square with this and solve it?

14. May 9, 2010 #13

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, start by completing the square...

15. May 9, 2010 #14
    ok well..

exp(iu - su2/a)

= exp[-(su2/a - iu)]
    = exp[-(s/a)(u2 - i(a/s)u)]
    = exp[-(s/a)(u-(ia/2s)2 - (i2/(4(s/a))]
    = exp[-(s/a)(u-(ia/2s)2 + a /(4s)]
    ...?

16. May 9, 2010 #15

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Up to here it looks okay
    Your parentheses don't match up here, but what you actually have is probably right.

Note that ea/(4s) is a constant, so you can pull it out of the integral.

17. May 9, 2010 #16

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, now [tex]e^{-\frac{s}{a}\left(u-\frac{ia}{2s}\right)^2+\frac{a}{4s}}=e^{\frac{a}{4s}}e^{-\frac{s}{a}\left(u-\frac{ia}{2s}\right)^2}[/tex] and [tex]e^{\frac{a}{4s}}[/tex] is a constant and can be pulled out of the integral.

Now, use the substitution [itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{s}{a}}\left(u-\frac{ia}{2s}\right)[/tex]....

18. May 9, 2010 #17
    also.. I have a "u term" from what I did

u = (at)1/2
    t = u2/a
    du = (a/2u)*dt
    dt = (2u/a)*du

so I actually have a 1/ai in front of the integral and another u in it.
    That means I have to do integration by parts in addition to what you said, right?

19. May 9, 2010 #18

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You won't need to use IBP...what does your integral become after the v-sub?

20. May 9, 2010 #19
    a big mess!!
    the limits of integration are from -(i/2)(a/s)1/2 to infinity now, and the equation under the integral is
    (a/s)1/2 * [(a/s)1/2v + (ia/2s)]exp(-v2) dv

note: there was a u term before the whole exponential term, so I accounted for that. and then made a substitution for du as well

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  21. May 9, 2010 #20

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, I'm sure you know how to integrate [itex]\int ve^{-v^2}dv[/itex] right? And if you use the substitution [itex]v=\sqrt{\frac{s}{a}}\left(u+\frac{ia}{2s}\right)[/itex] on the [tex]e^{-\frac{s}{a}\left(u+\frac{ia}{2s}\right)^2[/tex]...I think you will get some fortuitous cancellation

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook