How Do I Approach Solving the Differential Equation dy^2/dx = 62y - 0.2?

In summary, the conversation is about a differential equation and the need for clarification on the given equation. The participants discuss different forms of the equation and the need for knowledge on solving differential equations with constants. One participant also mentions that the conversation should be in the homework section.
Jennifer_88
Hi

can someone help with the DE

dy^2/dx=62y-.2

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it doesn't read (dy/dx)^2 = 62y - 0.2 ?

Please clarify..

Last edited:
Is this what you meant? [tex] \frac{ d\left(y^2\right) }{dx} = 62y -0.2 [/tex]. If so just write z in place of [itex] y^2[/itex] so [tex] \frac{dz}{dx} = 62\sqrt{z} -0.2 [/tex], and separate variables as usual.

sorry every one it's d^2y/dx^2=62y-.2

Ok, have you learned how to deal with differential equations of the form [tex] y'' + ay' + by = c [/tex] where a,b,c are constants. Because that's what this problem is. If not, I suggest you read through that section in your textbook or notes again. If you do know the theory for diff. eqns of that form, what specifically got you stuck?

That reminds me - this is posted in the wrong section. Please always post requests for help with standard textbook type questions in the homework section, even if it isn't set as homework to you.

Related to How Do I Approach Solving the Differential Equation dy^2/dx = 62y - 0.2?

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model and analyze various physical, biological, and social phenomena.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems. They are widely used in many fields including physics, engineering, economics, and biology.

3. How do I solve a differential equation?

There are various techniques for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using series solutions. The specific method used depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

4. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations also have a unique solution, while partial differential equations may have multiple solutions.

5. Can I use software to solve differential equations?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can solve differential equations numerically. However, it is still important to have a basic understanding of the underlying concepts and techniques for solving differential equations.