How do I solve this linear equation using constant acceleration equations?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving a particle's initial velocity and acceleration. The goal is to find the time at which the particle will be traveling at a specific angle with respect to the horizontal. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem, clarification on the variables and their values, and suggestions for breaking the equations into components.
Osbourne_Cox
1. I thought I was doing it right, but Quest said I have to wrong answer. Can some one solve it in steps and produce a final answer so I can compare?

Tan 58=(vi-ayt)/axt

where vi=5.6
ay=-9.8
ax=2.1

solve for t.

I got 0.87 for t.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please include your attempt to a solution?

vi-at=tan 58 (at)
-(-9.8)t=tan58(2.1)t-5.6
9.8t=3.36t-5.6
6.44t=-5.6
t=0.87

Take a look at the second to last step. You have:

6.44*t = -5.6

Your answer should be negative.

How do we have negative time though? (its the math to a physics problem)

Does your problem require you to be in degrees or radians?

Degrees, and my calculator was set on degrees.

Maybe you should post the original physics problem. Is it possible you made an error setting the problem up :eek:?

Initially (at time t = 0) a particle is moving vertically at 5.6 m/s and and horizontally at 0 m/s. The particle accelerates horizontally at 2.1 m/s2 . The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 . At what time will the particle be traveling at 58◦ with respect to the horizontal?

Sorry, I was not aware that 't' is time.

Oh, it is very possible, ha ha. I am not good at this stuff at all.

Osbourne_Cox said:
Initially (at time t = 0) a particle is moving vertically at 5.6 m/s and and horizontally at 0 m/s. The particle accelerates horizontally at 2.1 m/s2 . The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 . At what time will the particle be traveling at 58◦ with respect to the horizontal?

At t = 0, is the thing moving up or down? If it's moving up, vi will have a sign opposite to that of gravitational acceleration. Your equation in the first post suggests that the thing is moving up.

I assume you are using equations for constant acceleration. You are going to need to break your equations into components: one for your vertical velocity and acceleration components and one for your horizontal components.

Vy=Viy+ay*t
and
Vx=Vix+ax*t

Where
Vy=V*sin(58)
Vx=V*cos(58)

You end up with two equations and two unknowns (V and t). You should be able to solve.

Related to How do I solve this linear equation using constant acceleration equations?

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is a mathematical expression that contains one or more variables and can be written in the form of ax + b = c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It represents a straight line when graphed and is used to solve for the value of the variable.

2. How do I solve a linear equation?

To solve a linear equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation and the constants on the other side. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, on both sides of the equation. Once the variable is isolated, you can find its value by evaluating the remaining constants and simplifying the expression.

3. What is the purpose of solving a linear equation?

Solving a linear equation allows you to find the value of the variable, which can be useful in a variety of real-world applications. It can help you determine the cost of goods, calculate distances, and solve other mathematical problems. It also helps in understanding the relationship between different variables in a given situation.

4. Can all linear equations be solved?

Yes, all linear equations can be solved using the appropriate methods and techniques. However, some equations may not have a single solution, but instead have an infinite number of solutions or no solutions at all. These types of equations are known as inconsistent or dependent equations, respectively.

5. What are the common mistakes when solving a linear equation?

Some common mistakes when solving a linear equation include forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation, making errors in computation, and not properly distributing negative signs. It is important to carefully follow the steps and check your work to avoid these mistakes.