How to Calculate the Minimum Number of Lines to Resolve Sodium Spectrum Lines?

• Thread starter Arowana
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for help on how to calculate the minimum number of lines required in a grating to resolve two bright yellow lines in the second order of the sodium vapor spectrum. The conversation also mentions the resolving power and diffraction law that can be used to calculate the number of lines. The person helping asks the student to show their effort before providing assistance and suggests looking at a laboratory manual for guidance.
Arowana
Hi, i exam is coming up in a week and i have no clue so wat ever on how to solve this question.
How do i calculate the minimum number of lines?

What i need to answer to have full marks??

Q:

The Sodium vapor spectrum contains two bright yellow lines which have almost the same
wavelength (589.0 nm and 589.6 nm). Calculate the minimum number of lines required
in a grating which can resolve these lines in the second order.
:(

if you have some spare time, please help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that the resolving power is given by [tex]R = \frac{\lambda}{\Delta\lambda}[/tex]. But we also have the diffraction law which states [tex]a\sin{\theta} = m(\lambda + d\lambda)[/tex] so [tex]R = m N[/tex] where m is the order of the diffraction and N the total number of slits in the grating. So what you want to do is to first calculate the resolving power, and then just divide by the diffraction order to obtain N :wink:

Arowana, you are supposed to show your effort before asking for help !

Pietjuh, please require that students asking for help first show what they've tried.

And to both of you, please read the posting guidelines.

THanks Pietjuh , and sorry for getting you in trouble.

Arowana, try looking at your laboratory manual Experiment 44, Diffraction Grating.

1. What is optics?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of light and its properties, including reflection, refraction, and diffraction.

2. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

3. How does light interact with matter?

Light can interact with matter in three main ways: reflection, refraction, and absorption. Reflection occurs when light bounces off a surface, while refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium. Absorption is when light is absorbed by matter, causing it to heat up.

4. What is the difference between a convex and concave lens?

A convex lens is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to converge and form an image. A concave lens is thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, causing light rays to diverge and creating a virtual image.

5. How is the color of an object determined?

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that are reflected off its surface. Objects that appear red reflect red light and absorb other colors, while objects that appear white reflect all colors and objects that appear black absorb all colors.