How do ions move in an electrolytic cell?

• Thread starter nuby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell Ions
In summary,In summary, with water and gases, the ions are able to move due to the free electron pairs. With solids like copper, the ions are stable and don't move.
nuby
Hello

I'm wondering if someone can explain how OH- ions physically move from the anode to the cathode within an electrolytic cell (w/ pure water) .

Do they physically migrate from one side to the other? Or do they just pass electrons/protons back and forth between other ions H3O+ to the other side?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Both.

H+ and OH- conductivity is much higher than that of other ions of smilar size and charge. That's because protons jump between water molecules free electron pairs:

Code:
H-O-H[sup]+[/sup]  O-H          H-O   [sup]+[/sup]H-O-H
  |     |      ->      |      |
  H     H              H      H

Similar process works for OH-m aking charge transfer through the solution much faster.

Sorry about ASCII graphics, but it is 0:30 am here and I am spent.

nuby said:
Hello

I'm wondering if someone can explain how OH- ions physically move from the anode to the cathode within an electrolytic cell (w/ pure water) .

Do they physically migrate from one side to the other? Or do they just pass electrons/protons back and forth between other ions H3O+ to the other side?

Thanks

I'm not a chemistry fellow, but I am a electronics engineer tech fellow.
I'd say that with water and gasses...instead of JUST having free electrons flowing... You have atoms that are capable of flowing since they're not bonded together. As I'm sure you know that atoms naturally seek to be neutral. An Ion is a positively charged or negatively charged atom. This happens through losing a electron or gaining an electron. Now... if you put a potential energy source to the applied cell. You'll have electrons leaving atoms and joining with other atoms. Leaving atoms ionized. These ionized atoms unlike in copper atoms can flow since they're not stuck together so they will flow to whatever different potential. Positive ions will flow to negative potential, and Negative ions will flow to positive potential.
That's the difference between current through gasses and liquids vs current through solids like copper.
And the AMPS will be measured like this Q/T
Charge per second.

I hope this helps in anyway... since I'm not a chemist I don't know if I've answered your question or not.

Type_R said:
Iif you put a potential energy source to the applied cell. You'll have electrons leaving atoms and joining with other atoms. Leaving atoms ionized.

No. In general in the solution that is able to conduct electricity you don't have just atoms, that will get ionized. You already have ions, that are stable in this charged form.

Borek said:
No. In general in the solution that is able to conduct electricity you don't have just atoms, that will get ionized. You already have ions, that are stable in this charged form.

Stable in a charged form?

I've never heard of atoms being stable while being positive/negatively charged. Unless they're in an ionic bond in which they're balanced due to the positively charged ion bonded to the negatively charged ion. But as far as free ions I wouldn't know about that.

If you're right though i'd love to learn more about this.

Type_R said:
Stable in a charged form?

Yes. They are stabilized by water molecules dipoles. Look for solvation.

Borek said:
Yes. They are stabilized by water molecules dipoles. Look for solvation.

Ok that's what I suspected...They're being stabilized by essentially an ionic bond with different charges.

I thought you were saying they were stable completely by themselves.

Does this occur often during electrolysis:

H2O H2O + voltage => H3O+ OH-

Where a proton moves to the right toward the anode.
And electron moves left toward the cathode.

Last edited:
Type_R said:
Ok that's what I suspected...They're being stabilized by essentially an ionic bond with different charges.

I think I know what you mean, but this is not an ionic bond. Water molecules are dipoles, but they are not charged.

Besides, in the case of large, multiatomic ions, solvation plays very small role. You may treat them as stable by themselves.

This world is governed by its own laws. They don't contradict physics as you know it, but - especially on micro scale - they are in many aspects completely different from the solid state ones. Charge transfer between atoms/ions means chemical reaction, and to proceed these require that some conditions are meet.

1. How do ions move in an electrolytic cell?

Ions in an electrolytic cell move from the anode to the cathode, driven by an external electrical current. This movement is known as electrolysis.

2. What causes ions to move in an electrolytic cell?

The movement of ions in an electrolytic cell is caused by the electric field created by the external electrical current. This electric field attracts ions of opposite charges towards the respective electrodes.

3. Do all types of ions move in the same way in an electrolytic cell?

No, different types of ions may move at different rates depending on their charge and size. For example, smaller and more highly charged ions will move faster than larger and less charged ions.

4. Can the direction of ion movement be reversed in an electrolytic cell?

Yes, the direction of ion movement can be reversed by changing the direction of the external electrical current. This is known as reverse electrolysis.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the movement of ions in an electrolytic cell?

Yes, factors such as the concentration of ions, temperature, and the presence of impurities can affect the rate of ion movement in an electrolytic cell. These factors can also impact the efficiency of the electrolysis process.