How do significant digits work in physics calculations?

In summary, significant digits in a calculation should be based on the number of significant figures given in the problem. It is also recommended to give an answer with the least number of significant figures given in the question. In this case, the period is 0.0040s with two significant figures and the frequency is 250hz with two significant figures.
Jayak
A guitar string vibrates 750 times in 3.00s. Calculate period and Frequency.

I am in grade 11 and it is my first week in physics 11 so I'm new at this! My question is on how the significant digits work. I don't know where I should leave my answer..Here is my attempt:

Period: 3.00/ 750 = 0.0040s.. is that right with the about of sig fig?

Frequency 750/3.00 = 250hz

Help me! Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A

Last edited:
Jayak said:
A guitar string vibrates 750 times in 3.00s. Calculate period and Frequency.

I am in grade 11 and it is my first week in physics 11 so I'm new at this! My question is on how the significant digits work. I don't know where I should leave my answer..Here is my attempt:

Period: 3.00/ 750 = 0.0040s.. is that right with the about of sig fig?

Frequency 750/3.00 = 250hz

Help me! Thanks

As a rule of thumb, take your answer out to the number of significant digits given in the problem. For example, if you are given that some quantity of the problem equals 0.751, you were given three significant figures. Thus, if you put something in your calculator and get an answer out to 10 decimal places, you should only take three significant figures. Also, it is generally a good idea to give an answer out to the least number of significant figures given in the question. In your case above, the quantity 3.00 has three significant figures, while 750 has only two. Therefore, your answer should most reasonably have two significant figures, which you did! Hope this helps!

Related to How do significant digits work in physics calculations?

1. What is the difference between period and frequency?

The period of a wave is the time it takes for one full cycle to occur, while the frequency is the number of cycles that occur in one second. In other words, frequency is the inverse of period.

2. How are period and frequency related?

Period and frequency are inversely related. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa.

3. How are period and frequency measured?

The period is typically measured in seconds, while frequency is measured in hertz (Hz), which is equivalent to cycles per second.

4. Can the period and frequency of a wave be changed?

Yes, the period and frequency of a wave can be changed. This can be achieved by altering the amplitude (height) or wavelength (distance between two consecutive peaks) of the wave.

5. What is the relationship between the period and frequency of a wave on a graph?

On a graph, the period and frequency of a wave can be represented by the horizontal and vertical axes, respectively. The period is equal to the time it takes for one full cycle, while the frequency is equal to the number of cycles per second. This means that the period is the reciprocal of the frequency, and the graph will show an inverse relationship between these two values.