How do the d terms in differential equations work?

In summary, higher order derivatives are not fractions, and need to be represented in a different way. For instance, d2y/dx2 would be dy/dx.
Chrisistaken
How do the "d" terms in differential equations work?

Hi,

I was hoping someone could explain how the "d" terms in differential equations work? For example,

d2y/dx2 = 4x3 +1

To solve I have been rearranging to get,

d2y = (4x3 +1)dx2

and then doing a double integral of each side.

I sort of assume that the double integral of d2y is equal to y rather than y2/2 but I don't really understand why this is the case.

Can someone please explain this to me and also why the powers are applied differently to the numerator and the denominator?

Regards,

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org

The integral of d2y is dy. Once again integrating you will get y. The way you are rewriting the equations can make confusion. To avoid this confusion rewrite d2x/dx2 as d/dx(dy/dx). Now you can integrate two times with respect to x.

charlesmanima said:
The integral of d2y is dy. Once again integrating you will get y. The way you are rewriting the equations can make confusion. To avoid this confusion rewrite d2x/dx2 as d/dx(dy/dx). Now you can integrate two times with respect to x.

Umm isn't d/dx(dy/dx) = d^2(y)/dx^2?

Chrisistaken said:
Hi,

I was hoping someone could explain how the "d" terms in differential equations work? For example,
You're grouping symbols wrong. Roughly speaking everything in
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]​
goes together into one symbol. (though, I suppose, x is a slot for inserting an appropriate variable symbol)

AFAIK, the assortment of coincidences that allow us, when there is only one independent variable, to get sensible results by viewing [itex]dy/dx[/itex] as if it was the quotient of [itex]dy[/itex] and [itex]dx[/itex] don't work very well when applied to second derivatives.

You're better off working one derivative at a time -- e.g. worry first about
[tex]d \left( \frac{dy}{dx} \right) = (4x^3 + 1) dx[/tex]​

It might help to introduce a new variable
[tex]z := \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]​
so the previous equation becomes
[tex]dz = (4x^3 + 1) dx[/tex]​

Chrisistaken said:
Hi,

d2y/dx2 = 4x3 +1

To solve I have been rearranging to get,

d2y = (4x3 +1)dx2
No, this is not valid. The first derivative is defined as a limit of a fraction and so can be "treated" like a fraction (to show that any property of a fraction is true for a derivative, go back before the limit, use that property of the difference quotient, then take the limit). The differentials, dy and dx, are defined from the derivative to make use of that.

But higher order derivatives are not defined like that and cannot be treated as fractions. In particular, saying that [itex]d^2y/dx^2= f(x,y)[/itex] does NOT lead to "[itex]d^2y= f(x,y)dx^2[/itex].

and then doing a double integral of each side.
No, that's not the way double integrals work. You have to have two different variables, not [itex]\int d^2y[/itex]

I sort of assume that the double integral of d2y is equal to y rather than y2/2 but I don't really understand why this is the case.

Can someone please explain this to me and also why the powers are applied differently to the numerator and the denominator?
In order to remind you that higher order derivatives are NOT just fractions!

Regards,

Chris

Thanks all for the quick replies. I think Charlesmanima pretty much summed up what I was after.

Just to clarify though, are the d/dx, dx and dy terms, just symbols that cannot be manipulated by the usual mathematical methods (excluding convenient coincidences)?

Regards

Chris.

HallsofIvy said:
In order to remind you that higher order derivatives are NOT just fractions!
Also (or maybe as a specific example of what HallsofIvy is saying), it makes the units work out right. For instance, [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] is velocity, which has units of distance/time, like [itex]\frac{x}{t}[/itex]. [itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/itex] is acceleration, which has units of distance/time2, like [itex]\frac{x}{t^2}[/itex].

So for a fail safe method of working with derivatives, you would need to go back to the limit?

Related to How do the d terms in differential equations work?

1. How are the d terms represented in a differential equation?

The d terms in a differential equation represent the rate of change of a variable with respect to another variable. They are typically written in the form of dy/dx or d²y/dx², where y is the dependent variable and x is the independent variable.

2. What do the d terms tell us about the behavior of a system?

The d terms in a differential equation provide information about how the system changes over time. They can tell us about the direction and magnitude of the changes, as well as any patterns or trends in the system's behavior.

3. How do the d terms affect the solutions of a differential equation?

The d terms in a differential equation are crucial in determining the solutions of the equation. They dictate the rate of change of the variables and can greatly impact the behavior of the system. Different values of the d terms can lead to different types of solutions, such as exponential growth or decay.

4. Can the d terms be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the d terms in differential equations are commonly used in modeling real-world phenomena. They can be used to describe the behavior of physical systems, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

5. How do the d terms in differential equations relate to calculus?

The d terms in differential equations are closely related to derivatives in calculus. They represent the instantaneous change of a variable with respect to another variable, similar to how derivatives represent the slope of a curve at a specific point. Differential equations are essentially equations involving derivatives, making them an important application of calculus in science and engineering.