How Do You Apply Chain Rule for Functions in Polar Coordinates?

In summary: Many thanks!You need to express r and theta in terms of x and y, and then find their derivatives.I expressed r = x/cosθ, found \frac{∂r}{∂x} and then r = y/sinθ and found \frac{∂r}{∂y} Is this not correct?In r = x/cosθ, θ is also a function of x. Ditto for r = y/sinθ. You need to express r and θ as explicit functions of x and y to obtain their derivatives. Or use the implicit function theorem if you have it.I don't see how it is possible to write
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Given that [tex] f(x,y) = g(r,\theta), [/tex] where [itex] x = r\cos\theta [/itex] and [itex] y = r\sin\theta, [/itex] find formulae for [itex] \frac{∂f}{∂x} [/itex] and [itex] \frac{∂f}{∂y} [/itex] expressed entirely in terms of [itex] r, \theta, \frac{∂g}{∂r} , \frac{∂g}{∂\theta} [/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I said [tex] \frac{∂f}{∂x} = \frac{∂g}{∂x} = \frac{∂g}{∂r}\frac{∂r}{∂x} + \frac{∂g}{∂\theta}\frac{∂\theta}{∂x}. [/tex]
Rearranging x = rcos(θ) to r = x/(cos(θ) gave [itex] \frac{∂r}{∂x} = \sec\theta [/itex] and [itex] \frac{∂\theta}{∂x} = -\frac{1}{r\sin\theta} [/itex]
Can someone tell me if this is correct?
I used a similar method for [itex] \frac{∂f}{∂y} = \frac{∂g}{∂y} [/itex]
Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to express r and theta in terms of x and y, and then find their derivatives.

I expressed r = x/cosθ, found [itex] \frac{∂r}{∂x} [/itex] and then r = y/sinθ and found [itex] \frac{∂r}{∂y} [/itex] Is this not correct?

In r = x/cosθ, θ is also a function of x. Ditto for r = y/sinθ. You need to express r and θ as explicit functions of x and y to obtain their derivatives. Or use the implicit function theorem if you have it.

voko said:
In r = x/cosθ, θ is also a function of x. Ditto for r = y/sinθ. You need to express r and θ as explicit functions of x and y to obtain their derivatives. Or use the implicit function theorem if you have it.

I don't see how it is possible to write r as a function of x and y explicitly;
If r = x/cosθ and θ = arcsin(y/r) then r = x/cos(arcsin(y/r))

Consider x^2 + y^2.

voko said:
Consider x^2 + y^2.
Thanks. I got [itex] \frac{∂r}{∂x} = \cosθ [/itex] and [itex] \frac{∂r}{∂y} = \sin\theta [/itex]
How do you obtain theta as a function of x and y?

Given x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ, surely you can exclude r and thus get θ as a function of x and y.

voko said:
Given x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ, surely you can exclude r and thus get θ as a function of x and y.
Yes, of course, sorry I have been looking at this problem for quite a while now and I think I am just overlooking simple things at times.
So, [itex] \frac{∂θ}{∂x} = -\frac{\sin\theta}{r} [/itex] and [itex] \frac{∂θ}{∂y} = \frac{\cos\theta}{r} [/itex]
Bringing this all together: [tex] \frac{∂f}{∂x} = \frac{∂g}{∂r}(\cos\theta) + \frac{∂g}{∂\theta}(-\sin\theta/r) [/tex]
And; [tex] \frac{∂f}{∂y} = \frac{∂g}{∂r}(\sin\theta) + \frac{∂g}{∂\theta}((\cos\theta)/r) [/tex]
Ok now?
Just to check a couple of things: was the reason I was wrong first was because x is a function of theta but theta also depends on y? and similarly for r? Was my error in forgetting that theta also had a y dependence?

CAF123 said:
Yes, of course, sorry I have been looking at this problem for quite a while now and I think I am just overlooking simple things at times.
So, [itex] \frac{∂θ}{∂x} = -\frac{\sin\theta}{r} [/itex] and [itex] \frac{∂θ}{∂y} = \frac{\cos\theta}{r} [/itex]

I think you should pause here for a second. ## r ## and ## \theta ## are known as polar coordinates; you have been given the representation of Cartesian coordinates in polar coordinates, and you have found (although not written here) the representation of polar coordinates in Cartesian coordinates. This all is worth committing to memory, you are going to encounter polar coordinates many, many times and you should know how to transform to and fro.

Bringing this all together: [tex] \frac{∂f}{∂x} = \frac{∂g}{∂r}(\cos\theta) + \frac{∂g}{∂\theta}(-\sin\theta/r) [/tex]
And; [tex] \frac{∂f}{∂y} = \frac{∂g}{∂r}(\sin\theta) + \frac{∂g}{∂\theta}((\cos\theta)/r) [/tex]
Ok now?

Looks good to me.

Just to check a couple of things: was the reason I was wrong first was because x is a function of theta but theta also depends on y? and similarly for r? Was my error in forgetting that theta also had a y dependence?

I would say this was because ## \theta ## depends on x and y.

voko said:
I think you should pause here for a second. ## r ## and ## \theta ## are known as polar coordinates; you have been given the representation of Cartesian coordinates in polar coordinates, and you have found (although not written here) the representation of polar coordinates in Cartesian coordinates. This all is worth committing to memory, you are going to encounter polar coordinates many, many times and you should know how to transform to and fro.

Looks good to me.

I would say this was because ## \theta ## depends on x and y.
Thanks for all your help and advice.

CAF123 said:

Homework Statement

Given that [tex] f(x,y) = g(r,\theta), [/tex] where [itex] x = r\cos\theta [/itex] and [itex] y = r\sin\theta, [/itex] find formulae for [itex] \frac{∂f}{∂x} [/itex] and [itex] \frac{∂f}{∂y} [/itex] expressed entirely in terms of [itex] r, \theta, \frac{∂g}{∂r} , \frac{∂g}{∂\theta} [/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I said [tex] \frac{∂f}{∂x} = \frac{∂g}{∂x} = \frac{∂g}{∂r}\frac{∂r}{∂x} + \frac{∂g}{∂\theta}\frac{∂\theta}{∂x}. [/tex]
Rearranging x = rcos(θ) to r = x/(cos(θ) gave [itex] \frac{∂r}{∂x} = \sec\theta [/itex] and [itex] \frac{∂\theta}{∂x} = -\frac{1}{r\sin\theta} [/itex]
Can someone tell me if this is correct?
I used a similar method for [itex] \frac{∂f}{∂y} = \frac{∂g}{∂y} [/itex]
Many thanks

[tex] r = \sqrt{x^2+y^2}, \; \tan(\theta) = y/x.[/tex]

RGV

Related to How Do You Apply Chain Rule for Functions in Polar Coordinates?

1. What is the chain rule in 2 variables?

The chain rule in 2 variables is a mathematical rule that describes how to find the derivative of a function that is composed of two or more functions. It is used when the input of one function is the output of another function.

2. Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the rate of change of complex functions. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used in many applications, including physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How does the chain rule work?

The chain rule works by multiplying the derivative of the outer function by the derivative of the inner function. This accounts for the change in both functions as the input changes.

4. Can the chain rule be extended to more than 2 variables?

Yes, the chain rule can be extended to any number of variables. It is a general rule that applies to functions with multiple inputs and outputs.

5. What are some real-life applications of the chain rule in 2 variables?

The chain rule in 2 variables has many real-life applications, including optimization problems in economics, determining rates of chemical reactions in chemistry, and analyzing motion in physics. It is also used in machine learning and computer graphics to model complex systems.