How do you become good at physics?

• Courses
  • Thread starter xforeverlove21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Doing them all probably isn't worth it depending on time available. I would do a few from each section and then do all the problems under the problem section, if you have time you can then attempt the challenge... problems.
xforeverlove21
When it comes to solving the problems I can do most of the textbook ones (I've only gone through a couple so far) but when I attempt the old midterm questions I get stuck and can't solve it. How do I prepare myself to be ready? Do I keep practicing the textbook questions and over time I'll become very good or is there another approach?
Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you solve the midterm questions? Are they significantly harder than the textbook questions? If so, you should get a book with more difficult questions.

micromass said:
Why can't you solve the midterm questions? Are they significantly harder than the textbook questions? If so, you should get a book with more difficult questions.

I only did the starter questions from a chapter should I continue doing them because some of the questions get harder?
I'm using the freedman university physics book (recommended for the course)

xforeverlove21 said:
I only did the starter questions from a chapter should I continue doing them because some of the questions get harder?
I'm using the freedman university physics book (recommended for the course)

I don't know since I don't know the questions in the book nor do I know the questions in the midterm.

I've never used Young & Freedman myself, but I'm sure that like other textbooks at that level, it has problems/exercises that increase in difficulty as you go through the list for each section at the end of a chapter. If your instructor/professor doesn't assign a set of homework problems, pick a sample of them from the beginning, middle and end of the list. By comparing them to the sample midterm problems, you should be able to figure out the required level. Or simply ask your professor or one of his teaching assistants.

Likes xforeverlove21 and Student100
Harder questions reward you with more knowledge in my opinion. Of course, steady progression is a good idea to develop a solid understanding. But I'm willing to bet you've got a much better understanding than I. I'm still trying to grasp pre-calculus at 23!

So Young and Freedman breaks down it's problem sets into discussion questions (generally just need to invoke some concept covered to answer these), then into exercises broken down by section (quick simple math or formula type problems without needing much thought), then into problems (which require students to dissect information given) and finally harder challenge problems. So if he's only doing exercises and the conceptual questions then that could be a problem. The problem section is where the meat of the sets are.

Not immediately seeing any midterm questions that you missed that would qualify as challenge problems, looks pretty standard to me. I would make sure I'm working through the problems in the book, or do like jtbell suggests.

Likes xforeverlove21
Student100 said:
So Young and Freedman breaks down it's problem sets into discussion questions (generally just need to invoke some concept covered to answer these), then into exercises broken down by section (quick simple math or formula type problems without needing much thought), then into problems (which require students to dissect information given) and finally harder challenge problems. So if he's only doing exercises and the conceptual questions then that could be a problem. The problem section is where the meat of the sets are.

Not immediately seeing any midterm questions that you missed that would qualify as challenge problems, looks pretty standard to me. I would make sure I'm working through the problems in the book, or do like jtbell suggests.

Sorry are you saying that the midterm questions are equivalent in difficulty as the challenge problems?

xforeverlove21 said:
Sorry are you saying that the midterm questions are equivalent in difficulty as the challenge problems?

No, they all look problems you'd find under the problem section of the problem sets. Are you working through those, or just the exercises/discussion questions?

Student100 said:
No, they all look problems you'd find under the problem section of the problem sets. Are you working through those, or just the exercises/discussion questions?
So far I've gone through the exercises, I will soon do the problems and challenge problems (I just started studying the first chapter)
Do you think doing the exercise questions are time consuming and not worth it?

xforeverlove21 said:
So far I've gone through the exercises, I will soon do the problems and challenge problems (I just started studying the first chapter)
Do you think doing the exercise questions are time consuming and not worth it?

Doing them all probably isn't worth it depending on time available. I would do a few from each section and then do all the problems under the problem section, if you have time you can then attempt the challenge problems.

Likes xforeverlove21

Related to How do you become good at physics?

1. How much math do I need to know to become good at physics?

A strong understanding of mathematics is crucial for success in physics. You should have a solid foundation in algebra, geometry, and calculus. As you progress, you will also need to learn more advanced mathematical concepts such as differential equations and linear algebra.

2. Is physics a difficult subject to learn?

Physics can be challenging, but with dedication and hard work, anyone can become proficient in this subject. It requires critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and a strong grasp of mathematical concepts. Practice and persistence are key to mastering physics.

3. What study techniques are effective for learning physics?

There is no one-size-fits-all approach to studying physics, as everyone learns differently. Some effective techniques include practicing problem-solving, creating concept maps, and using flashcards to review formulas and equations. It is also helpful to participate in study groups and seek help from professors or tutors when needed.

4. Do I need to have a passion for physics to become good at it?

While having a passion for physics can certainly make the learning process more enjoyable, it is not a requirement for becoming good at it. As long as you have a strong interest and determination to learn, you can excel in physics. It may also help to find specific areas of physics that you are particularly interested in to stay motivated.

5. Can anyone become good at physics?

Yes, anyone can become good at physics with the right mindset and approach to learning. It may come more naturally to some individuals, but with hard work and dedication, anyone can develop a strong understanding of physics. The key is to stay determined, seek help when needed, and practice consistently.