How do you calculate a vector area?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of calculating vector areas for 3D objects, specifically for a disk with a circular hole in the center. The person asking for help had difficulty finding information on this obscure subject, but had talked to their teachers and searched online. They were unsure about the equation given to them and were only at an A level in their education. The expert clarified that the equation was for calculating flux through an oriented surface and suggested using a vector perpendicular to the disk to find its area. The person asking for help then explained that they had discussed this with someone else and it seemed that finding the vector area for a 2D object is the same as finding its area. The expert confirmed this and provided further explanation
Jake110
this may not be the right section so sorry if its in the wrong place.

I've tried researching this but I find it's pretty hard to get information on obscure subjects. I talked to my teachers at college but they only teach A level so they didn't have a clue.

I've found some http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/316/lectures/node4.html" on vector areas on the internet but it's kind of confusing, could someone help me out and show me how to calculate it for a 3D object.

I need it for part of a much larger and more complicated set of physics equations, I've spent the last two months putting it all together and this is the last piece of the puzzle. the object I need to calculate the vector area of is an air core solenoid, ill attach a picture of the general shape.

Attachments

• Jake-tube.jpg
    Jake-tube.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 637
Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Not sure what level you are or if you are asking for what I think you are asking. Generally a surface can be given as a vector function of two variables:

[tex]\vec{R}(u,v) = \langle x(u,v), y(u,v), z(u,v) \rangle,\ (u,v)\in D[/tex]

The vector element of surface are would be

[tex]d\vec S = \vec R_u \times \vec R_v dudv[/tex]

and I'm guessing what you want is

[tex]\int\int_D d\vec S[/tex]

thanks for the reply but i think the equation i need the vector area for is wrong. plus I'm only at A level so i don't really understand that equation.

EDIT: unless its not the vector area of the entire object but just the cross sectional area, i think i just need to calculate the vector area of a disk. could you explain a bit more on how to use the equation you posted?

Jake110 said:
thanks for the reply but i think the equation i need the vector area for is wrong. plus I'm only at A level so i don't really understand that equation.

EDIT: unless its not the vector area of the entire object but just the cross sectional area, i think i just need to calculate the vector area of a disk. could you explain a bit more on how to use the equation you posted?

I don't know what the "A level" is. You pretty much need Calc III to talk about general surface areas. The typical application of vector surface elements is in the calculation of flux integrals. These have the form

[tex]\int \int_S\vec{F} \cdot d\vec S = \int\int_D\vec{F}(u,v) \cdot \vec {R}_u(u,v) \times \vec{R}_v(u,v)\, dudv[/tex]

and are used to calculate flux through an oriented surface.

If you just want the vector area of a disk that would be a vector perpendicular to the disk whose length is numerically equal to the area of the disk. Hope that helps.

sorry, A Level is a two year program involving 3-5 subjects for students 17-18 years old, its what we have here in England. I'm 18 so what ever the equivalent level of education is in your country.

anyway, I talked to a guy on another forum and it seems to find the vector area of a 2D object is the same as the area of that object. so the shape i think i need is the same as a CD, a disk with a circular hole in the center. that means i just need to get the area of the main circle and minus the area of the hole in the center, the direction being perpendicular to the plane.

you seem to know more about it so i thought I'd ask you if that made sense or has the other guy got it wrong? it just seems to simple to me.

EDIT: ok i read your last post again and i guess that is how to do it, the area of the flat surface equals the length of the vector. awesome, thank you for your help.

1. What is a vector area?

A vector area is a mathematical quantity that represents the size, direction, and orientation of a two-dimensional region in space.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector area?

The magnitude of a vector area is equal to the length of the vector, which can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem.

3. How do you find the direction of a vector area?

The direction of a vector area can be determined by finding the angle between the vector and a reference axis, typically the x-axis.

4. What is the cross product method for calculating a vector area?

The cross product method involves taking the cross product of two vectors to find the area of a parallelogram formed by those vectors.

5. Can vector areas be negative?

Yes, vector areas can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the area is opposite to the reference axis used for calculation.