1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you calculate joules necessary to rotate an object?

1. Jan 10, 2016 #1
    NOTE: THIS IS NOT A HOMEWORK QUESTION!

I merely wish to know how to calculate the force necessary to rotate an object, say of 10 kg, from a certain downward diagonal direction of 45 degrees into an upright position considering only gravity.

I'll need to use some formula involving torque...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your post is not clear.

In the title, it says you want to calculate joules necessary to rotate an object. In the OP, it says you want to calculate the force necessary.

Joules are the units of energy or work. Force is measured in units of newtons.

What do you want to know?

4. Jan 10, 2016 #3
    My bad. I've read the distinction between the two, but must have slipped.:rolleyes:
    I want to know the energy, and so need to provide the dimension of the object: let's say it's 1 meter long.

I'm just making its characteristics up because I want to know the general approach that's necessary.

I'm thinking that I'll have to integrate sin all across its rotation to account for the normal force? Let's say the object starts at a diagonal downward position of 45 degrees.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook