How Do You Calculate Kinetic Energy and Velocity on a Roller Coaster?

In summary, the conversation discusses a roller coaster with 2 hills, with the first hill having a height of 40m and the second hill having a height of 25m. The mass of the coaster is 500kg. The person was asked to find the potential energy at the top of the first hill, which they calculated to be 196,000J. They now need to find the kinetic energy at the bottom of the first hill and the velocity at various points. They should make a list of the values for PE and KE at each point and use the equation for conservation of mechanical energy. The equations for PE and KE are given, but there is confusion about finding KE without knowing velocity. It is suggested to use the fact
bls555
okay, there is a roller coaster with 2 hills.. this is what I know:
1st hill height: 40m
2nd hill height: 25m
mass of coaster: 500kg
I was asked to find out the PE at top of hill #1, I did that and got 196,000J
Now I have to findthe KE at the bottom of hill #1, as well as finding the velocity at various spots, how do I do this?
Thanks a LOT for the help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Make a list of the values for the PE and KE of the system at each point you want to evaluate. (make sure you set up an appropriate diagram,, from your first answer I assume your x-axis lies along the ground)

Then make use of the equation for conservation of mechanical energy

KE_intial + PE_initial = KE_final + PE_final

do you know the equations for KE and PE?

Last edited:
PE = mgh
KE = 1/2mv²

I don't get how I'm supposed to find KE without knowing velocity, or without knowing T to find velocity (V = d/t).
EDIT: Yeah, each hill starts and ends at ground level, sorry for not including that.

Last edited:
At the bottom of hill one the KE will equal the PE at the top of hill one. One you get that you can calculate the velocity by solving Ek=1/2mv^2 using the mass of the coaster and KE that you just found.

This is of course assuming no losses

Thank you!

Related to How Do You Calculate Kinetic Energy and Velocity on a Roller Coaster?

1. What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed or transferred from one form to another.

2. Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it allows us to understand and predict how energy behaves in different systems. It also helps us to make more efficient use of energy and to conserve natural resources.

3. How does conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

Conservation of energy is applicable in many aspects of our daily lives. For example, when we turn on a light switch, the electrical energy is converted into light and heat energy. When we ride a bicycle, our pedaling motion converts chemical energy from our food into kinetic energy to move the bike forward.

4. What are some examples of energy conservation methods?

Some examples of energy conservation methods include using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs, unplugging electronics when not in use, carpooling or using public transportation, and insulating buildings to reduce heating and cooling energy consumption.

5. How can I help with conservation of energy?

There are many ways you can help with conservation of energy, such as turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using public transportation or carpooling, reducing water usage, and supporting renewable energy sources. Additionally, being mindful of your energy consumption and finding ways to reduce it can also make a significant impact.