How do you calculate the integral dz/(z^2+h^2)^(2/3)?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter NadAngel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
NadAngel
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I am trying to solve a problem I saw in a book about electrostatics. In the book the solution to the integral ∫dz/(z^2+h^2)^(3/2) is z/(h^2*(z^2+h^2)^(1/2) but I can't solve the integral by myself. I have tried integration by substitution but I can't seem to solve it.

u=z^2+h^2
du=2zdz
dz=du/2z

This does not yield a correct result.

PS: h is a constant, so you only need to integrate it by dz.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi !
I doubt that you could integrate it with this method.
I think that this integral cannot be expressed as a combination of a finite number of usual fuctions. The closed form will probably requires an Hypergeometric function, or more simply, an Incomplete Beta function.
 
Thank you for the replies. It seems I have made a typo in the post and the correct integral of interest is:
∫dz/(z^2+h^2)^(3/2)

The solution in the book is the same: z/(h^2*(z^2+h^2)^(1/2)

Can this be soved?
 
NadAngel said:
Thank you for the replies. It seems I have made a typo in the post and the correct integral of interest is:
∫dz/(z^2+h^2)^(3/2)

The solution in the book is the same: z/(h^2*(z^2+h^2)^(1/2)

Can this be soved?

Yes, quite simply too.

First rearrange algebraically to get:

[tex]\frac{1}{h^3}\int {[1 + {(\frac{z}{h})}^2]}^{-\frac{3}{2}} dz[/tex]

Then make the substitution [tex]\frac{z}{h} = \tan \theta[/tex].

Can you take it from there? Remember your trig identities.