How do you calculate the integral dz/(z^2+h^2)^(2/3)?

• Thread starter NadAngel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about trying to solve the integral ∫dz/(z^2+h^2)^(3/2) with the solution being z/(h^2*(z^2+h^2)^(1/2). The poster has tried integration by substitution but has not been able to solve it. However, it is possible to solve it by making the substitution z/h = tan(theta).
NadAngel
I am trying to solve a problem I saw in a book about electrostatics. In the book the solution to the integral ∫dz/(z^2+h^2)^(3/2) is z/(h^2*(z^2+h^2)^(1/2) but I can't solve the integral by myself. I have tried integration by substitution but I can't seem to solve it.

u=z^2+h^2
du=2zdz
dz=du/2z

This does not yield a correct result.

PS: h is a constant, so you only need to integrate it by dz.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey NadAngel and welcome to the forums.

That answer is not correct and you can differentiate the answer to see if it equals the expression inside the integral from the fundamental theorem of calculus. I would try this and do this first.

For the substitution though wikipedia has a good list of integral tables:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_integrals_of_rational_functions

Hi !
I doubt that you could integrate it with this method.
I think that this integral cannot be expressed as a combination of a finite number of usual fuctions. The closed form will probably requires an Hypergeometric function, or more simply, an Incomplete Beta function.

Thank you for the replies. It seems I have made a typo in the post and the correct integral of interest is:
∫dz/(z^2+h^2)^(3/2)

The solution in the book is the same: z/(h^2*(z^2+h^2)^(1/2)

Can this be soved?

NadAngel said:
Thank you for the replies. It seems I have made a typo in the post and the correct integral of interest is:
∫dz/(z^2+h^2)^(3/2)

The solution in the book is the same: z/(h^2*(z^2+h^2)^(1/2)

Can this be soved?

Yes, quite simply too.

First rearrange algebraically to get:

[tex]\frac{1}{h^3}\int {[1 + {(\frac{z}{h})}^2]}^{-\frac{3}{2}} dz[/tex]

Then make the substitution [tex]\frac{z}{h} = \tan \theta[/tex].

Can you take it from there? Remember your trig identities.

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

What is a dz?

dz represents the differential of z, which is the change in z for a small interval. In other words, it is a small amount by which z changes.

What is h?

h is a constant in the given integral, which represents the distance between the function and the x-axis. It is used to calculate the value of the integral.

Why is the exponent 2/3?

The exponent of 2/3 is used because it is the power to which the denominator is raised in order to simplify the integral. This is a common technique used in integration to make the problem more manageable.

How do I calculate the integral dz/(z^2+h^2)^(2/3)?

To calculate this integral, you can use the substitution method or the partial fractions method. Both methods involve breaking down the integral into smaller, more manageable parts and then using specific techniques to solve them. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of basic integration rules and techniques.