How do you calculate the minimum film thickness?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the minimum film thickness between two plates, one smooth surface and one with a square microasperity. The person is confused about how to determine the film thickness and is seeking help. They have attached a paper with a graph showing the minimum film thickness and are wondering how it was derived. The paper mentions that 'b' is the minimum film thickness and 'a' is the height of the microasperity.
tomallan
Hi,

i am wondering how do you calculate the minimum film thickness between two plates, one smooth surface and another surface with a square microasperity. i am just very confused as to how do you determine the film thickness in between them.

I have attached a paper which has a graph on the minimum film thickness and I am wondering how did they arrive with that graph. It said on the paper that b is the minimum film thickness and a is the height of the microasperity.

any help will be appreciated

Attachments

• Effect of Deterministic Asperity Geometry on Hydrodynamic Lubrication2.pdf
    541.2 KB · Views: 855
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. How do you determine the minimum film thickness?

The minimum film thickness can be calculated by using the equation: h = 2γ/ΔP, where h is the minimum film thickness, γ is the surface tension, and ΔP is the pressure difference across the film.

2. What is the significance of calculating the minimum film thickness?

Calculating the minimum film thickness is important in various industries, such as coatings, lubrication, and microfluidics, as it helps determine the thinness of a liquid film needed for optimal performance in a particular application.

3. Are there any assumptions made when calculating the minimum film thickness?

Yes, the equation for minimum film thickness assumes that the film is under constant pressure and has a constant viscosity.

4. Can the minimum film thickness be adjusted?

Yes, the minimum film thickness can be adjusted by changing the surface tension or pressure difference. Additionally, using surfactants or additives can also alter the film thickness.

5. What are the units used for minimum film thickness?

The units for minimum film thickness are typically in micrometers (μm) or nanometers (nm), depending on the specific application and the thickness of the film.