How do you calculate the moment of a spinning wheel

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Mathijsgri
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Moment Spinning Wheel
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Mathijsgri
Messages
40
Reaction score
2
What is the moment of the wheel.

Dimensions:
r= 1 m
h= 5 cm
m= 1000kg
a = 4120 rad/s2

I used the formula T = I * a

The moment of inertia can be calculate by Iz =(1/2)mr2or Ix=Iy= (m/12)* 3r2 +h2)

which one do i need to use?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are trying to determine the torque, T, then the choice of moment of inertia, I, depends on the axis of rotation. Iz = mr2/2 is the one you would use if the wheel was in regular use, like on a car.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mathijsgri