What are the different methods for coloring metal?

In summary, Apple uses anodizing to create different colors for their iPod's. Anodizing is a commercialized technique for painting metal.
yameiyakuma
How do you colour metal?

What are some advantages of corrosion?

What are the methods one can use to stain mental or change the colour of metal as the Apple company does to create the wide range of different beautiful colours that their iPod's come in?

Engineering news on Phys.org

It's ironic you brought up corrosion because when I saw the title of this thread, I instantly thought of how well rust accepted several coats of rust-stop primer, and how well the primer accepted several paints of preferred color as well. I was going to make a joke about it, but is controlled corrosion actually a commercialized technique for painting metal?

You can apply electrochemical corrosion to reduce the thickness of sheet metal for airspace applications.

Anodising.

Pythagorean said:
is controlled corrosion actually a commercialized technique for painting metal?
I was wondering too if maybe they use some sort of acid like with chroming. Most finished metal though I am pretty sure is coated with something. I'll have to look that up.

yes... its used as a commercialized technique for painting metal!

yeah, with aluminum, you treat it so that it builds up an oxide layer (essentially ceramic, i think) that is thick and even enough to prevent further corrosion. i think there is just a dye in the chemical solution that becomes impregnated in the oxide layer, but it's been about 10 years since i had to worry with it, so the memory is a bit fuzzy. it's not really a "paint", tho. aluminum anodization is fairly common and you should be able to google a bunch of shops, easily.

if an actual "painting" technique is what you're after, then there's some interesting stuff like epoxy coating (powder coating), but i don't think it's going to look like a metal surface when done, unless maybe clear.

I've had various parts anodized and powder coated.

Anodizing is applied using electrolysis whereas with powder coating you electrically charge the part, spray it with a dry powder, then bake it to cure.

This might help.
Do some research on cold and hot patina. Various techniques have been invented to colorize metal.

Maybe this is off topic but I have anodized metal with Coke a Cola and a car battery hahaha

Then there's alway lead based paints :/

Hammerite, great stuff.

yameiyakuma said:
What are the methods one can use to stain mental or change the colour of metal as the Apple company does to create the wide range of different beautiful colours that their iPod's come in?
I don't own an iPod, but I thought they had plastic bodies.

Well, after some thought, i guess the best answer is...

anyway that you like.

and naw...i got an ipod right here and this baby is metal!

yameiyakuma said:
What are some advantages of corrosion?

Corrosion gets rid of that pesky metal you leave on structural members after machining, and it's free.

Apple uses "anodizing." Certain metals, like titanium or aluminum, that can be passivated (that is, grow a hermetic oxide layer) can have the passive layer impregnated with dye. The final product produces a very robust coating where the atoms have grown in register with the underlying metal, so you get very good adhesion and protection of your base metal, and an attractive finish. Passivation is, from certain manners of thinking, a TYPE of corrosion, which may lead to your above question.

Paint, Powdercoat, Anodize, Plating (di and tri chromates etc),

really a broad question. What do you want to do?

may i suggest: finishing.com it is a great trouble shooting site.

good luck with whatever it is you're coloring. You can get some real wild powdercoat and anodized stuff out there.

Related to What are the different methods for coloring metal?

1. How does heat affect the color of metal?

When metal is heated, its structure changes and its atoms vibrate at a higher frequency. This causes the metal to emit different wavelengths of light, resulting in a change in color. The exact color change depends on the type of metal and the temperature it is heated to.

2. Can metal be colored without using heat?

Yes, there are several methods for coloring metal without using heat. These include chemical treatments, electrochemical processes, and coating techniques such as painting or powder coating. These methods can produce a wide range of colors and finishes on metal surfaces.

3. Is it possible to remove color from metal?

Yes, it is possible to remove color from metal using various methods such as stripping or polishing. However, the success of these methods depends on the type of metal and the type of coloring applied. Some colors may be more difficult to remove than others.

4. Can metal be colored in specific patterns or designs?

Yes, there are techniques for creating specific patterns or designs on metal surfaces using color. One method is called patination, which involves applying a colored solution to the metal and then using various tools to create patterns or designs before the color is set.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when coloring metal?

Yes, there are safety precautions that should be taken when coloring metal, especially when using heat or chemicals. It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and eye protection, and to work in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to follow proper procedures and handle chemicals carefully to avoid any potential hazards.