How Do You Derive the Axes of a Kepler Orbit from Its Equation?

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of finding the major and minor axes of a Kepler orbit, and the task of showing that they can be expressed as functions of the semi-latus rectum and total energy. The person speaking noticed that the general equation for an ellipse had a term that could be eliminated by assuming the ellipse's center is at the origin. However, it was then pointed out that the center is not actually at the origin, and the conversation ended with some uncertainty about the next step in solving the problem.
Emspak

Homework Statement

I am trying to see if I am on the right track with this.

The problem: A kepler orbit (an ellipse) in Cartesian coordinates is: $$(1−\epsilon^2)x^2 + 2\alpha \epsilon x + y^2 = \alpha^2$$.
The task is to show that the major and minor axes are: $$a = \frac{\alpha}{\sqrt{1-\epsilon^2}} = \frac{k}{2|E|} \text{ and } b = \frac{\alpha}{\sqrt{1-\epsilon^2}} = \frac{L}{\sqrt{2m|E|}}$$

Well and good, I noticed that the general equation for an ellipse has that middle term [itex]2\alpha \epsilon x [/itex] but I could get rid of it if I just assume the ellipse's center is at the origin. Then I can say the general form for the ellipse is [itex]\frac{x^2}{a}+\frac{y^2}{b}=1[/itex] and go from there. When I do that I can redue the original equation to: $$\frac{(1−\epsilon^2)x^2}{\alpha^2} + \frac{y^2}{\alpha^2} = 1$$

Plugging in fo a (that is, noting that under the x is the value for a) I see I can make the denominator under x equal to [itex]\frac{\alpha^2}{(1-\epsilon^2})[/itex] which would make [itex]a=\frac{\alpha}{\sqrt{1-\epsilon}}[/itex] and I can do the same thing for b, getting me [itex]b=\frac{\alpha}{\sqrt{1-\epsilon}}[/itex] as well.

It's the next step I am a bit shaky on. Assuming [itex]\alpha = \frac{L^2}{mk}[/itex] I am not entirely sure how to get the last step. I was thinking that to get total energy (E) I would just add the vectors of radial and tangental velocity, and plug that into [itex]KE= \frac{1}{2} mv^2[/itex]. But I am trying to determine if I am in the right ballpark. It occurred to me I have to account for potential energy as well, though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Emspak said:
The task is to show that the major and minor axes are: $$a = \frac{\alpha}{\sqrt{1-\epsilon^2}} = \frac{k}{2|E|} \text{ and } b = \frac{\alpha}{\sqrt{1-\epsilon^2}} = \frac{L}{\sqrt{2m|E|}}$$
There's something wrong here. I suspect you are supposed to show that the *semi* major axis (not major axis) is ##a=\frac{\alpha}{1-\epsilon^2}## (note the lack of a square root) and that the *semi* minor axis is ##b=\frac{\alpha}{\sqrt{1-\epsilon^2}}##.

Well and good, I noticed that the general equation for an ellipse has that middle term [itex]2\alpha \epsilon x [/itex] but I could get rid of it if I just assume the ellipse's center is at the origin.
The ellipse's center is *not* at the origin. Set y to zero in the original equation. This is not of the form (x-c)^2 = 0.

Related to How Do You Derive the Axes of a Kepler Orbit from Its Equation?

1. What is a Kepler orbit?

A Kepler orbit is a type of elliptical orbit that follows the laws of planetary motion developed by Johannes Kepler in the early 17th century. It describes the path that a celestial body, such as a planet or satellite, takes around a central body, such as a star.

2. How are Kepler orbits different from circular orbits?

Kepler orbits are different from circular orbits because they are elliptical in shape, meaning that the distance between the two bodies varies throughout the orbit. In contrast, circular orbits have a constant distance between the two bodies.

3. What is the eccentricity of an ellipse in a Kepler orbit?

The eccentricity of an ellipse in a Kepler orbit is a measure of how elongated or flattened the ellipse is. It is represented by a number between 0 and 1, with 0 representing a perfect circle and 1 representing a highly elongated ellipse.

4. How do Kepler's laws explain the motion of objects in a Kepler orbit?

Kepler's laws explain the motion of objects in a Kepler orbit by describing the relationship between the distance of the object from the central body and the time it takes to complete an orbit. These laws state that the orbiting object sweeps out equal areas in equal times, and that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit.

5. Can objects in Kepler orbits ever collide?

Objects in Kepler orbits can collide if their orbits intersect at some point. However, this is highly unlikely as the orbits of most celestial bodies are stable and do not intersect. In addition, the laws of planetary motion state that objects in Kepler orbits will maintain a constant distance from the central body, reducing the chance of a collision.