How do you evaluate the spherical coordinate integral at 244.15.7.24?

In summary: I=\frac{5}{3}\int_{0}^{\Large\frac{3\pi}{4}}\,d\thetaFinally:I=\left[\frac{5}{3}\right]_0^{\Large\frac{3\pi}{4}}=\frac{5\cdot 3}{3}\left(\frac{\pi}{4}\right)=\frac{5\pi}{4}In summary, we evaluate the spherical coordinate integral by first moving all terms to the left side of the equation. Then, we calculate the innermost integral and substitute it back into the original equation. Using substitution, we can then solve for the remaining integrals and constants. Finally, we plug in
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{244 .15.7.24}$
$\textsf{Evaluate the spherical coordinate integral}\\
\begin{align}\displaystyle
DV_{24}&=\int_{0}^{3\pi/4}
\int_{0}^{\pi}
\int_{0}^{1}
\, 5\rho^3 \sin^3 \phi \, d\rho \, d\phi \, d\theta \\
&=\int_{4}^{3\pi/4}
\int_{0}^{\pi} 5\biggr[\frac{p^4}{4}\biggr]_0^1
\sin^3\phi \, d\phi \, d\theta\\
% &=\color{red}{123}
\end{align} $

just seeing if I got this first step ok
no book answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Good so far!

$\displaystyle\int_{0}^{3 \pi/4} \int_{0}^{\pi}
\frac{5}{4}\sin^3 \phi \, d \theta$
so then $u=\cos \phi \therefore du =\sin \phi \, d\theta$
$\displaystyle\int_{0}^{3 \pi/4}\frac{5}{4} \int_{0}^{\pi}
\left(1-u^2\right) \, du \, d\theta$

Last edited:
karush said:
Evaluate the spherical coordinate integral

This is a very strange command. Why is it important that the integral came from a 'spherical coordinate' exercise? It's just an integral.

Just one tiny thing. Why did rho turn into p? :-) No harm.

tkhunny said:
This is a very strange command. Why is it important that the integral came from a 'spherical coordinate' exercise? It's just an integral.

Just one tiny thing. Why did rho turn into p? :-) No harm.

\rho=$\rho$

it was the books suggestion

karush said:
$\displaystyle\int_{0}^{3 \pi/4} \int_{0}^{\pi}
\frac{5}{4}\sin^3 \phi \, d \theta$
so then $u=\cos \phi \therefore du =\sin \phi \, d\theta$
$\displaystyle\int_{0}^{3 \pi/4}\frac{5}{4} \int_{0}^{\pi}
\left(1-u^2\right) \, du \, d\theta$

You should either write
$$\int_{1}^{-1}(1-u^2) \, du \quad \text{or} \quad \int_{u(0)}^{u(\pi)}(1-u^2) \, du.$$
That way, you're less likely to make the category error of plugging in $0$ and $\pi$ as $u$-values.

karush said:
...so then $u=\cos \phi \therefore du =\sin \phi \, d\theta$...

If:

\(\displaystyle u=\cos(\phi)\)

then:

\(\displaystyle du=-\sin(\phi)\,d\phi\)

which would result in reversing the limits of integration. :)

karush said:
it was the books suggestion

I think you did not understand my question.

Not my question:
Why did you tackle this problem using spherical coordinates? It was the book's suggestion.

My question:
After setting up the integral, why does it matter that it can from a spherical coordinate system? It's just an integral.

karush said:
ok I presume we are here
these next steps are !

$\displaystyle\int_{4}^{3\pi/4} \frac{5}{4} \biggr[ u-\frac{u^3}{3}\biggr]_1^{-1} d\theta\\$

how do you plug \(\displaystyle \cos(\phi)\) after this?

You want to reverse the limits of integration, because of the negative sign in the differential resulting from your $u$-substitution (I don't know why you changed the lower limit on the outermost integral):

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{5}{4}\int_{0}^{\Large\frac{3\pi}{4}}\left[ u-\frac{u^3}{3}\right]_{-1}^{1} d\theta\)

You are done with $\phi$ because of the substitution you made.

MarkFL said:
You want to reverse the limits of integration, because of the negative sign in the differential resulting from your $u$-substitution (I don't know why you changed the lower limit on the outermost integral):

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{5}{4}\int_{0}^{\Large\frac{3\pi}{4}}\left[ u-\frac{u^3}{3}\right]_{-1}^{1} d\theta\)

You are done with $\phi$ because of the substitution you made.

So we are down to this? hopefully

$\biggr[\frac{5}{4}\cos\theta\biggr]_{0}^{3\pi/4}$

karush said:
So we are down to this? hopefully

$\biggr[\frac{5}{4}\cos\theta\biggr]_{0}^{3\pi/4}$

Where did the $\cos(\theta)$ come from?

MarkFL said:
Where did the $\cos(\theta)$ come from?

so is it

$$\biggr[\frac{5}{4}\cos\phi\biggr]_{0}^{3\pi/4}$$

well wasn't there a $d\theta$ ?

karush said:
so is it

$$\biggr[\frac{5}{4}\cos\phi\biggr]_{0}^{3\pi/4}$$

well wasn't there a $d\theta$ ?

I'm going to walk through this problem, using your substitution...let's begin with:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{0}^{\Large\frac{3\pi}{4}}\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{1} 5\rho^3\sin^3(\phi)\,d\rho\,d\phi\,d\theta\)

My first step would be to move everything as far to the left as possible:

\(\displaystyle I=5\int_{0}^{\Large\frac{3\pi}{4}}\int_{0}^{\pi} \sin^3(\phi)\int_{0}^{1} \rho^3\,d\rho\,d\phi\,d\theta\)

Now, let's consider the innermost integral:

\(\displaystyle I=5\int_{0}^{\Large\frac{3\pi}{4}}\int_{0}^{\pi} \sin^3(\phi)\left(\int_{0}^{1} \rho^3\,d\rho\right)\,d\phi\,d\theta\)

\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \rho^3\,d\rho=\frac{1}{4}\left[\rho^4\right]_0^1=\frac{1}{4}\left(1^4-0^4\right)=\frac{1}{4}\)

And so we have:

\(\displaystyle I=5\int_{0}^{\Large\frac{3\pi}{4}}\int_{0}^{\pi} \sin^3(\phi)\left(\frac{1}{4}\right)\,d\phi\,d\theta\)

Move the constant to the far left:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{5}{4}\int_{0}^{\Large\frac{3\pi}{4}}\int_{0}^{\pi} \sin^3(\phi)\,d\phi\,d\theta\)

Again, let's consider the innermost integral:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{5}{4}\int_{0}^{\Large\frac{3\pi}{4}}\left(\int_{0}^{\pi} \sin^3(\phi)\,d\phi\right)\,d\theta\)

\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi} \sin^3(\phi)\,d\phi=\int_{0}^{\pi} \sin^2(\phi)\,\sin(\phi)\,d\phi=\int_{0}^{\pi} \left(1-\cos^2(\phi)\right)\,\sin(\phi)\,d\phi\)

Let:

\(\displaystyle u=\cos(\phi)\implies du=-\sin(\phi)\,d\phi\)

So we have:

\(\displaystyle -\int_{1}^{-1} \left(1-u^2\right)\,du=2\int_{0}^{1} 1-u^2\,du=\frac{2}{3}\left[3u-u^3\right]_0^1=\frac{4}{3}\)

And our integral is now:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{5}{4}\int_{0}^{\Large\frac{3\pi}{4}}\left(\frac{4}{3}\right)\,d\theta\)

Move the constant to the far left:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{5}{3}\int_{0}^{\Large\frac{3\pi}{4}}\,d\theta=\frac{5}{3}\left(\frac{3\pi}{4}-0\right)=\frac{5\pi}{4}\)

how do you get the \(\displaystyle \frac{5}{3}\) ?

\begin{align*}\displaystyle
&=\frac{5}{4}\int_{4}^{3\pi/4} \int_{1}^{-1}(1-u^2) \, du \, d\theta\\
&=\frac{5}{4}\int_{0}^{3\pi/4} \biggr[ u-\frac{u^3}{3}\biggr]_1^{-1} d\theta\\
&=\frac{5}{4}\int_{0}^{3\pi/4}\frac{4}{3} d\theta\\
&=\frac{5}{4}\biggr[\frac{4}{3}\theta\biggr]_{0}^{3\pi/4}\\
&=\frac{5}{4}\cdot\frac{4}{3}\cdot\frac{3\pi}{4}\\
&=\color{red}{\frac{5\pi}{4}}
\end{align*}

hopefully

Last edited:
karush said:
how do you get the \(\displaystyle \frac{5}{3}\) ?

\(\displaystyle \frac{5}{4}\cdot\frac{4}{3}=\frac{5}{3}\) :)

What is a 244.15.7.24 triple Integral?

A 244.15.7.24 triple integral is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the volume of a three-dimensional shape or region by integrating a function over three variables.

How is a 244.15.7.24 triple Integral calculated?

To calculate a 244.15.7.24 triple integral, you must first determine the limits of integration for each variable, then set up the integral using the appropriate notation and formula. You can then solve the integral using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or the use of specialized tables or software.

What is the purpose of a 244.15.7.24 triple Integral?

The purpose of a 244.15.7.24 triple integral is to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape or region, which is useful in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can also be used to calculate other physical quantities, such as mass or charge, by integrating over a three-dimensional density function.

What are some real-life applications of a 244.15.7.24 triple Integral?

A 244.15.7.24 triple integral has many real-life applications, such as calculating the mass of an object with varying density, finding the total charge within a three-dimensional region, and determining the volume of a fluid in a tank or container. It is also used in physics to calculate moment of inertia and in engineering to find the center of mass of a three-dimensional object.

Are there any challenges associated with solving a 244.15.7.24 triple Integral?

Yes, there can be challenges associated with solving a 244.15.7.24 triple integral, such as determining the appropriate limits of integration, dealing with complicated functions, and using the correct integration techniques. It may also require a significant amount of time and effort to solve, especially for more complex three-dimensional shapes or regions.