How do you find acceleration when you are only given netwons?

In summary, to find the acceleration in this scenario, you need to subtract the weight from the upward force to get the net force. Then, divide the weight by the gravitational acceleration to get the mass. Finally, divide the net force by the mass to find the acceleration. Remember to use the correct terminology (weight and net force, not N).
AznBoi
Okay, there is 20 N of force upward and there is 480N of weight pulling down, how do I find the acceleration??

Physics news on Phys.org
AznBoi said:
Okay, there is 20 N of force upward and there is 480N of weight pulling down, how do I find the acceleration??

Net force is then 20N - 480N = -460N.

Divide by the mass (F = ma).

nvm I got it, you just divide N by gravity (dumb me) to get the mass then dvide the N by mass to get acceleration! Thanks anyways! :smile:

AznBoi said:
nvm I got it, you just divide N by gravity (dumb me) to get the mass then dvide the N by mass to get acceleration! Thanks anyways! :smile:
Just so you don't confuse people, I think you get the point but your terminology is wrong. You divide the weight by gravitational acceleration to get the mass (W = mg so m = W/g). You then divide the net force by the mass to get the mass' acceleration (F/m = a).

AM

FAQ: How do you find acceleration when you are only given netwons?

1. How do you calculate acceleration when given netwons?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the net force acting on an object by its mass. The formula for acceleration is: a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is net force, and m is mass.

2. Can acceleration be negative when netwons are given?

Yes, acceleration can be negative when net force is acting in the opposite direction of the motion of the object. This means the object is slowing down or changing direction.

3. What units are used to measure acceleration when only given netwons?

The units of acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2) when using the metric system. In the imperial system, acceleration is typically measured in feet per second squared (ft/s^2).

4. Can you find acceleration without knowing the mass of an object?

No, in order to calculate acceleration using net force, the mass of the object must also be known. Without knowing the mass, the acceleration cannot be accurately determined.

5. How do you find acceleration from a graph of net force versus time?

To find acceleration from a graph of net force versus time, you can calculate the slope of the line. The slope represents the change in net force over time, which is equal to the acceleration of the object.

Back