Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you find the gauche number?

1. Jul 11, 2004 #1
    In a staggered confirmation of 2,3-dimeythlbutane, how do you find the gauche number? For that matter, how do you find any gauche number for a chair confirmation? I'm having a hard time understanding it through my book's description.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2004 #2
    Hmm, I'm not familiar with the terminology of "gauche number." Perhaps it just means the number of gauche interactions present? Yeah, without drawing a lot of pictures and looking at the bonds this way and that it's tough to see these conformations most of the time. In staggered 2,3-dimethylbutane I see 2 total interactions that I would call gauche. (4 methyl groups to consider, 2 pairs in gauche). Maybe that's the gauche number (2)?

For any chair conformation? I suppose you mean of cyclohexyl rings, I dunno?

You just have to draw the picture out from the perspective that you can see where the interactions for whatever you're talking about are "gauche."
  4. Jul 12, 2004 #3
    Thank you for your help. I met with my professor and he explained it....it was # of gauche interactions. Again thanks for your help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?