How do you find the gauche number?

• Thread starter noxflos
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about understanding the concept of "gauche number" in staggered 2,3-dimethylbutane and any chair conformation, specifically in cyclohexyl rings. The person speaking was having trouble understanding the concept through their textbook and another person suggested drawing out the interactions in order to visualize them better. It was later clarified that the "gauche number" refers to the number of gauche interactions present.
noxflos
In a staggered confirmation of 2,3-dimeythlbutane, how do you find the gauche number? For that matter, how do you find any gauche number for a chair confirmation? I'm having a hard time understanding it through my book's description.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hmm, I'm not familiar with the terminology of "gauche number." Perhaps it just means the number of gauche interactions present? Yeah, without drawing a lot of pictures and looking at the bonds this way and that it's tough to see these conformations most of the time. In staggered 2,3-dimethylbutane I see 2 total interactions that I would call gauche. (4 methyl groups to consider, 2 pairs in gauche). Maybe that's the gauche number (2)?

For any chair conformation? I suppose you mean of cyclohexyl rings, I dunno?

You just have to draw the picture out from the perspective that you can see where the interactions for whatever you're talking about are "gauche."

Thank you for your help. I met with my professor and he explained it...it was # of gauche interactions. Again thanks for your help.

1. What is the gauche number?

The gauche number is a measure of the steric strain or energy associated with a certain molecular conformation. It refers to the number of gauche interactions, or eclipsed bonds, in a molecule.

2. How do you calculate the gauche number?

The gauche number can be calculated by counting the number of gauche interactions in a molecule. A gauche interaction occurs when two adjacent atoms have a dihedral angle of approximately 60 degrees.

3. Why is the gauche number important?

The gauche number is important because it can help predict the stability and reactivity of a molecule. Higher gauche numbers indicate a higher degree of steric strain, making the molecule less stable and more reactive.

4. How does the gauche number affect molecular shape?

The gauche number can affect the molecular shape by causing steric hindrance between atoms. This can result in a distorted shape and affect the molecule's properties and reactivity.

5. Can the gauche number be used to compare different molecules?

Yes, the gauche number can be used to compare different molecules. A lower gauche number indicates a more stable molecule with less steric strain, while a higher gauche number indicates a less stable molecule with more steric strain.