How do you find the range of 1/{(x-1)(x+2)} for [0, 6]?

  • Thread starter Thread starter solve
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Range
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
solve
Messages
94
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Need to find the range of 1/{(x-1)(x+2)} for [0, 6]

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



The domain is [0, 1) AND (1, 6] because 1/0 is an invalid operation. So I tried and this is what I got: [-0.5, ∞) and [0.025, ∞). Wrong, of course :)

How do I go about arriving to the right solution?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
solve said:

Homework Statement



Need to find the range of 1/{(x-1)(x+2)} for [0, 6]

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



The domain is [0, 1) AND (1, 6] because 1/0 is an invalid operation. So I tried and this is what I got: [-0.5, ∞) and [0.025, ∞). Wrong, of course :)

How do I go about arriving to the right solution?

Thanks.
Can you find the range of (x-1)(x+2) for [0, 1) ∪ (1, 6] ?
 
SammyS said:
Can you find the range of (x-1)(x+2) for [0, 1) ∪ (1, 6] ?

Hopefully I am right: [-2,0) and (0,40]
 
solve said:
Hopefully I am right: [-2,0) and (0,40]
Yes, that's correct.

Do you see how that's related to the range of 1/((x-1)(x+2)) ?
 
SammyS said:
Yes, that's correct.

Do you see how that's related to the range of 1/((x-1)(x+2)) ?


Honestly not. Can I get a hint or something :)
 
solve said:
Honestly not. Can I get a hint or something :)

If the values of a variable k range between 2 to 5, then what are the possible values of 1/k?
 


Mentallic said:
If the values of a variable k range between 2 to 5, then what are the possible values of 1/k?

[-0.5, infinity) and [0.025, infinity) ?

But it's supposed to be (-infinity, -0.5] instead of [-0.5, infinity) so I was wondering how 1/0 gives negative infinity. This is what originally confused me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
solve said:
Mentallic said:
If the values of a variable k range between 2 to 5, then what are the possible values of 1/k?
[-0.5, infinity) and [0.025, infinity) ?
Well no :-p but I see we're just going to disregard my example question since you already have the hang of it.

solve said:
But it's supposed to be (-infinity, -0.5] instead of [-0.5, infinity) so I was wondering how 1/0 gives negative infinity. This is what originally confused me.

Well for the quadratic (x-1)(x+2) with [itex]x\in [0,1)[/itex], the range is negative. So for the reciprocal function 1/((x-1)(x+2)) it's still going to be negative, thus this is how you should quickly realize that as x approaches 1 from the left side (0.99... etc.), it should be approaching [itex]-\infty[/itex] rather than [itex]+\infty[/itex]
 
Mentallic said:
Well for the quadratic (x-1)(x+2) with [itex]x\in [0,1)[/itex], the range is negative. So for the reciprocal function 1/((x-1)(x+2)) it's still going to be negative, thus this is how you should quickly realize that as x approaches 1 from the left side (0.99... etc.), it should be approaching [itex]-\infty[/itex] rather than [itex]+\infty[/itex]

Whoa, this is WAY above my head. [itex]x\in [0,1)[/itex] for one. Have no idea what that's supposed to mean. Can you, please, tell me what that is? Thank You.
 
solve said:
Whoa, this is WAY above my head. [itex]x\in [0,1)[/itex] for one. Have no idea what that's supposed to mean. Can you, please, tell me what that is? Thank You.

It's nothing special, it just means the values of x in that set (0 to 1, but not including 1). It means the same thing as what Sammy posted in post #2.
 
Mentallic said:
It's nothing special, it just means the values of x in that set (0 to 1, but not including 1). It means the same thing as what Sammy posted in post #2.

Thank You very much, Mentallic. Will look into it a bit closer.
 


solve said:
[-0.5, infinity) and [0.025, infinity) ?

But it's supposed to be (-infinity, -0.5] instead of [-0.5, infinity) so I was wondering how 1/0 gives negative infinity. This is what originally confused me.
For number, z, where z is between -2 and 0, what is 1/z? For one thing, isn't 1/z negative if z is negative.

... And if z is a negative number very close to zero, such as z=-0.001, isn't 1/z a very "large" negative number, such as -1000 ?
 
Last edited by a moderator:


SammyS said:
For number, z, where z is between -2 and 0, what is 1/z? For one thing, isn't 1/z negative if z is negative.

... And if z is a negative number very close to zero, such as z=-0.001, isn't 1/z a very "large" negative number, such as -1000 ?

Oh, now I understand the flaw in my thinking- I kept imagining a positive 1 between -2 and 0, for some reason. Thank You, SammyS.
 
Last edited by a moderator: