Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you guys put gates and kmaps into tech papers?

1. Feb 3, 2007 #1
    Is there anything online or elsewhere which I can use to create Kmap images? and gate images? I'm writing a paper and I hate to just draw them on there.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I would just do them in OrCAD and cut and paste them into Word for the report. I don't know offhand if there is a student edition of OrCAD or PSPICE, though. Alternately, does PowerPoint have a logic symbol library maybe? Or you could draw your own symbols in PowerPoint and re-use them.

4. Feb 5, 2007 #3
    If nothing else, get creative with Paint. You only have to draw them once. Just use what you've made as a library.

Edit: This may be simple enough with a handful of gates, but obviously has its limitations.

5. Feb 5, 2007 #4
    For Kmaps, I would make a Table in MS Word with all the right values, then hit print screen and paste it in paint and use different colored curved rectangles to show the groupings.

As for gates, if you mean schematics, I did all those in paint too, my professor was impressed that I did it this way actually

6. Feb 5, 2007 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You can also skip the Paint rectangle step if you draw the rectangles in Word. Check out the drawing tools, and look for the rectangle tool. After you draw the rectangle, you make the Fill = None, and you can change the color and line width of the rectangle to make it stand out on the K-map.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?