How Do You Integrate Over an Octant for \(\frac{1}{x^2+y^2+z^2}\)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter zedmed
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integrating
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
zedmed
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
[tex]\int^{1.5}_{0}\int^{1.5}_{0}\int^{1.5}_{0}\frac{1}{x^2+y^2+z^2}dxdydz[/tex]

I tried converting this to spherical and only integrating over a quarter of the octant but with no luck.

Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what
[tex]\int_0^{1.5} \frac{dx}{x^2+a^2}[/tex]

where [itex]a[/itex] is a constant is? If so, just integrate over x first holding y and z constant (i.e.[itex]a^2=y^2+z^2[/itex]) Then integrate over y, holding z constant. Lastly, integrate over z. Assuming that z,x,y have no functional relationship, and you limits of integration are correct, this is perfectly valid.
 
Yes, but then I get to

[tex]\int^{1.5}_{0}\int^{1.5}_{0}\frac{ArcTan(\frac{1.5}{\sqrt{y^2+z^2}})}{\sqrt{y^2+z^2}}dydz[/tex]

and get stuck.
 
Last edited:
Hmmm... yes, Mathematica doesn't even want to do this integration. Is this really the original question?
 
no, it was to find the time averaged power inside a box produced by light bulb in the center.
This is a by product of assuming spherical wave propagation from the center of the box.
 
It's a cube with side length 3, I was just considering one octant.
 
I see; and the power is proportional to [itex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex]. The only thing I can think of that might help is to use the fact that

[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \left( \frac{\hat{r}}{r} \right)=\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]

to turn the volume integral into a surface integral via the divergence theorem. Then compute the flux of [itex]\vec{v} \equiv \frac{\hat{r}}{r}[/itex] Through each face of the cube.
 
Last edited:
Interesting...that's sounds like something worth pursuing, thanks for the help!
 
In fact, due to symmetry the flux through each face will be the same, so you only have to compute it for one face and then multiply by 6.